Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What causes burning/stinging eyes

1. Back To Top    #1

What causes burning/stinging eyes

It seems like all of the pools that I've been in are different regarding the burning/stinging of eyes. What causes this? Is it just a result of proper chlorination/pH, too much chlorine of too low pH? Even though I check FC/CC every day and pH every day or so, knowing how the water should feel helps verify testing.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What causes burning/stinging eyes

Use the search box for Stinging Eyes.

This particular post from chem geek is also interesting Burning/Stinging eyes
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks...I did search, but I kept seeing salt mentioned and I assumed it was SWG people. Am I reading the link correctly that any pool, not just SWG, could benefit from adding salt?
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    Thanks...I did search, but I kept seeing salt mentioned and I assumed it was SWG people. Am I reading the link correctly that any pool, not just SWG, could benefit from adding salt?
    It was quite the fashion here a year or two ago to add salt for feel. I never jumped on that band wagon nor added borates simply because I'm constantly draining to reduce CH buildup.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again...it's not really too big of an issue now, but I'll keep the salt in mind is it is needed
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    Thanks again...it's not really too big of an issue now, but I'll keep the salt in mind is it is needed
    Don't forget that chlorine adds salt to a pool. It'll slowly build up.

7. Back To Top    #7

The paper in the link that Richard gave to a post I wrote describes how chloramines can also irritate the eyes. Nevertheless, even with no chloramines, if you just keep your eyes under water even with no chlorine or chloramines, they will sting unless the water is salty. Basically there's more salt in your eyes than in the water so water flows into your eyes creating pressure that makes your eyes bloodshot and sting.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

My first thought was chlorine was too high, but I'm reading it can be the chloramines like mentioned. My wife just noticed it stung a bit, so I'm hoping it's the lack of salt -I didn't know chlorine added salt, so that should help. I do a daily FAS/DPD test showing less than .5 ppm CC, so hopefully I can rule out the chloramides. Thanks for the help!!!
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump