What glue to use with solar panels and PVC

To make a long story short, I bought some solar panels off Craigslist and I need 4 barb fittings that are no longer available. It is not a universal part it's a special threaded fitting with o-ring made by the panel company.

I figured out that 1 1/4" pvc fits perfectly, just like it would press into an elbow etc. so as my last resort I am going to glue sections of PVC into the panel. Is standard PVC glue ok to use? I don't know what type of plastic the panels are, but I remember reading that some types of plastic(maybe abs?) don't react well with the glue.

Types of PVC Cement

By Roger Golden eHow Contributor

PVC cement is a chemical solvent. It literally fuses the pieces of pipe together. There are three primary types of plastic piping used, but all are generally referred to as PVC pipe. Each type of PVC requires a different cement. PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) and CPVC (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride) are very similar, while ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) has a different chemical composition.

PVC Cement

• PVC cement is specially formulated for schedules 40 and 80 PVC pipe. When it is applied, the pipe will visibly soften and then solidify as the cement sets to form a joint that is stronger than the surrounding pipe and fittings. Be careful to avoid skin contact because PVC cement can cause chemical burns on sensitive skin. This pipe and cement are generally used in DWV (drain, waste and vent) applications, not potable water transport.

CPVC Cement

• CPVC cement can bond pipe joints without creating hazardous vapors when fusing PVC pipe designed for potable water transport. Apply the cement with the included dauber, uniformly lining the connecting surfaces. Avoid CPVC cements that have thickened as this is an indication that the catalyzing agents have partially evaporated, reducing its bonding capability.

ABS Cement

• ABS cement is chemically engineered to react with the chemical structure of the pipe. It is used with ABS piping, but is unsuitable for use with CPVC or PVC pipes. ABS piping is recommended for DWV applications and is available in two types: Solid Wall and Cellular Core. It is important to use the correct type of cement in all applications to prevent the pipe from weakening and unable to carry the desired pressure.
Transitional Cement

• A special type of cement called a transitional cement can be used when multiple types of PVC pipe, such as ABS and PVC, are joined. This variety of cement fuses the chemical structures of the pipes together without causing extreme chemicals reactions or creating harmful fumes.

Can you find a standard recycling logo on the panels, if so the number inside the logo should tell you the class of plastic that it is made from, often it will be polypropelene or EPDM polypropelene (which is a ruberized polypropelene compound). Is there any way you could use rubber / silicone hoses and hose clamps on the panel as is?

p.s. maybe if you post photos of the connectors we could help with ideas better

No recycling logo

I need 4 more of these:

16icunn.jpg

Pvc is a tight fit

2dt225l.jpg

My thought is you would need something more flexible than epoxy since the PVC and the black plastic will expand at different rates when heated. Maybe something more like RTV silicone

Yeah now I'm planning on using CPVC. I could look up the thermal expansion, I feel they probably wouldn't be that different though. And the strength of epoxy is like 3000psi. Would be nice if I could just find the fittings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I figured out a way to do it where the fit between the fitting and panel don't need to hold the fitting in. So is there anything I need to worry about when choosing a silicone to seal it? is there something special that is resistant to pool chemicals or should anything be fine?

There are lot of kinds of silicon sealants. Dow 795 is a good choice:

DOW CORNING 795 SILICONE BUILDING SEALANT

This is used as an outdoor sealant, metal to glass (in my world), and is tough and weather proof. As I recall, it is a neutral cure to avoid etching that can lead to sealant failure.

You probably won't get it a Home Depot. Go to a large commercial glass shop. They will probably have it or a proper substitute. It's not cheap.

Also, I've had really good luck with Gorilla Glue. My Hayward navigator had a "impeller" that split in two. I tried everything. Gorilla glue did the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.