Jul 8, 2014
Lodi Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
I finally finished my Intex 18' Ultra Frame Pool, I will post all the photos on my original build thread but I have just finished filling and turned on my Brand New Hayward Pump and Filter Combo (Really like that setup) and have just taken the first chemistry test, Results are below ...

Free Ch.: 0 (This test was before any chemistry has been added)
PH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 25
CYA: 0 (I didn't test this as there was no reason to)
Temp: 85

I am using the BBB method and do not have a salt Generator. I added 48 ounces of Chlorine (I wanted to add a little more, I started filling the pool 6/8/15 at around Noon), I also used some water out of my water heater which is soft water and water out of my garden hose which is untreated water.

I will test the chlorine again soon and post those numbers. The water is incredibly clear ...

What do you all think?

- - - Updated - - -

Another note to adding a little more liquid chlorine is that today we had light showers all day in Lodi Ca. Strange weather we are having this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I will need help in adding the CYA, I purchased HTH brand Stabilizer & Conditioner (Purple Lid Container). This is granular, I have read that I should use a sock and place some in the sock and place at the pool return. I have never done this before and could use some help.

Hello and welcome again! You definitely want to get some stabilizer in there right away. Use the pool math calculator (link below) and shoot for 40 right now. Use the sock method near your skimmer - soak in sock and squeeze occasionally. With your sunshine there, you may go to 50 CYA later. In the meantime, keep adding liquid bleach to stay steady at a minimum of 2ppm to avoid an algae outbreak. It will take a few days for the CYA to increase, so keep a close eye on your FC and don't let it drop below 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Once your CYA hits 30, you can increase the FC to your "Target" FC level as noted on the Chlorine/CYA chart (4). CYA of 40 means a new target FC of 5. Link below. :)

Updates and Question? ...

I put the CYA in the sock after swimming last night and ran the pump, everything with the sock and granular worked very well (Thank you), this morning I did my daily test for CL and PH ...

CL: 5 (Same as last night after my first CL addition) I thought it might go down but it didn't ...

PH: 6.8 (This was a drop)

When you add CYA does that affect PH? I will add the borax here in a minute or so but was concerned why the PH dropped so quickly (The only chemistry added was the HTH Stabilizer & Conditioner)

Updates and Question? ...

I put the CYA in the sock after swimming last night and ran the pump, everything with the sock and granular worked very well (Thank you), this morning I did my daily test for CL and PH ...

CL: 5 (Same as last night after my first CL addition) I thought it might go down but it didn't ...

PH: 6.8 (This was a drop)

When you add CYA does that affect PH? I will add the borax here in a minute or so but was concerned why the PH dropped so quickly (The only chemistry added was the HTH Stabilizer & Conditioner)
It can. If you plug in your pool volume at the top of poolmath and then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and enter how much CYA you added, you'll see a close approximation of how much you affected pH.

I'd do it for you but I don't see pool volume nor CYA dosage.

Very Cool Richard,
I didn't see those options at the bottom of Pool Math, You enlightened me. Thanks.

I added 32 ounces of conditioner (CYA), using pool math that would lower PH by .78. Mine lowered a little more but pretty close.

Thanks for the input ...

Test done today:

FC: 1 (Little darker than 1 so probably 1.5?)

CYA: 40 (The conditioner (Granular) was put in the pool on 6/10)

TA: 80

Temp: 92

I could not do the chlorine drop test as I was out of the powder, will need to purchase some more. The CYA showed up today on the test but CL a little low now. Looking at the chart I need to be at 4 being a good target for the CYA level. Water is crystal clear and sparkly. Just wanted to confirm that I am on the right track

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Dave,
I added the CL immediately following the tests. Thanks for the info on the CH and TA.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I do need to purchase the R-870 Powder. Do I order from this site like I did for the whole kit?

Thanks Dave,
I added the CL immediately following the tests. Thanks for the info on the CH and TA.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I do need to purchase the R-870 Powder. Do I order from this site like I did for the whole kit?

this is the most economical way to get new TFTestkits.net :)

I have been charting my chemistry daily on an excel form that I created. Today is day 7 from adding the CYA even though I have tested for it before I am going to use today's test as my official gauge of where I am. The amount of chlorine that I have been adding daily has been more than I thought (with having the CYA in the pool) and not as consistent from day to day that I thought it would be. I will post today's results soon ...

Todays Numbers:

CL: 5
TA: 90
CYA: 40
Temp: 90

In a 24 hour period I am using about 30 ounces of CL. Should I increase the CYA or is the amount of CL being added normal? Pool usage is about 4 hours per day, Pool is in direct sunlight all day

- - - Updated - - -

There have been a few days that I have come home from work and CL level has dropped to 1.0 or less (I tested and added CL before going to work). Just concerned

Have you received your refills yet? You wrote, "The amount of chlorine that I have been adding daily has been more than I thought (with having the CYA in the pool) and not as consistent from day to day that I thought it would be." Part of that could be using the OTO tester. I find anything from 4 to 7 looks like 5 to me.

When you do get the refills, run the overnight loss test. If it passes, it's not algae, which leaves it at bather load and sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.