Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anchor bolt rusted and busted

1. Back To Top    #1

Anchor bolt rusted and busted

Greetings,

I have a little problem that I created by not WD40'ing the bolts and using a 10 foot pipe as a breaker bar. As you can see in the pictures, one of the bolts is now broken! I'm so good at creating 2 projects while attempting another...can I hear an AMEN!

Also you notice that there is a slight crack running through the two rear bolts.

Suggestions? Allow my following list to get your juices flowing...

Tear out and replace section with new bolts?
    Use product XYZ and be done with it in 2.7 minutes (if there is such a product, please let me know)?
    Replace board after painting using only two of three bolts and put a warning sign on the end of the board stating, "Dive at your own risk!"?
    Cut bolts flush and replace with trampoline angled 45 degrees towards deep end?
    Ignore it and wish away the problem?
    Pray to the almight pool god Swimmeus and ask for an overnight miracle?

All jokes aside, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    Hayward sand filter/Pump
    Bypassed rusted out NG heater
    Spa with air injection

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anchor bolt rusted and busted

Welcome to TFP!!!

IMO you have 2 options:
    1. Cut the bolts off and throw the board away.
    2. Cut a huge chunk of the concrete up, find the proper embedded anchor assembly and bolts, add rebar for the new concrete to be tied to the deck (remember to bond in your new rebar and board anchor), pour the new slab, install the board.

BTW, WD-40 would not have been the right tool for the job. You would have needed some type of penetrating oil and then used anti-sieze when you reinstalled it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi jblizzle,

Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid that would be the best solution but thought I'd ask to see if there are other methods or solutions as good as a repour of concrete. Time to get the wheelbarrow out of retirement! Funny you mentioned bonding as I was just reading something on that yesterday. I had no idea of how much I didn't know about what I cannot see. At least the water is warm and perfect for a 100F day.

Thanks again!
    20,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    Hayward sand filter/Pump
    Bypassed rusted out NG heater
    Spa with air injection

4. Back To Top    #4

You might want to ensure you can find the correct anchors for your board before digging everything up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd saw the bolts off flush and drill some new holes an inch or so away and use expansion anchors, myself. They're not stainles steel, but it'll get you through the summer and then you can mess with the concrete in the off season when no one wants to use the pool. Shop Red Head 25-Pack 1/2-in x 3-3/4-in Wedge Anchors for Solid Concrete at Lowes.com

I stand corrected.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you done the engineering on those bolts to ensure they will not rip out of the concrete and cause injury?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I would have a lot of concern about using any wedge anchors on a diving board mount. This is one application where you can't depend on gravity to help. The use of the board is trying to rip the anchors out of place. I would either cut them off or make up a "diving platform" that would cover them for the rest of the season. Then decide if I need a diving board bad enough to tear up the concrete and do it right.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I was thinking move it a little and reinstall also. But, good point on how much load there is on the screws. Do you know a local pool service to call and have them take a look?

Update your location city/state or metro area and maybe someone can help.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Get a good welder to weld a new section of threads to the old....the old would need cleaned up and grind some away to make room for the weld, but a weld can be as strong as the original bolt....then again, if it's not done right, not so much....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

10. Back To Top    #10

The nuclear power industry uses various wedge type anchors for new equipment installations in existing concrete. They are designed to withstand the effects of a seismic event (earthquake). They are not designed for the instantaneous shock load that is seen on a diving board. The installation in a pool deck may be problematic and hinges on: the proper mixing and placement of the concrete, strength of concrete mix, the thickness of the deck, and the installation skill of the installer. In a pool deck, there is also the real danger of drilling into and severing the bonding system, electrical lines, and pipes. If they fail under the shock load of a diving board, it will be suddenly and without warning. The board will end up in the pool most likely hitting the diver. Please ask yourself, is it worth it?
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I vote welder or dig it up and redo. Concrete anchors are great, but I would not trust them with the impact load a diving board has. It would probably be as much work as redoing it all, but you could probably find an anchor like they use for electric pole guy wires. Drill a 2-3" hole, run the anchor in, then put concrete around it. You still have the risk of hitting something important under the deck that way though.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100