New skimmer with slow leak

May 18, 2015
pittsburgh pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Waterways skimmer had a crack in it so I replaced it with a Hayward SP109 WM a couple days ago.

I've noticed some waster running down by the corner of the skimmer, which is exacerbated if i push on the wall there with my finger.

I swear I tightened the screws until my fingers hurt, alternating tightening them.

Please does anyone have any idea of how I might be able to correct this or have any experience with this?:brickwall:

Nothing should ever have to be tightened like that. It is not uncommon for folks to have the gaskets wrong or be missing a gasket. I would review the installation instructions to be sure everything is on and on the correct side (inside or outside) of your pool.

You have to tighten those screws in the Hayward more than you would think. Mine seeped at one corner until I got a large (#3 Phillips, I believe) screwdriver and really cranked it down. The plastic was creaking to the point where I thought it would crack, but it didn't and the leak stopped.

Nothing should ever have to be tightened like that. It is not uncommon for folks to have the gaskets wrong or be missing a gasket. I would review the installation instructions to be sure everything is on and on the correct side (inside or outside) of your pool.
Everything is on correct. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to tighten those screws in the Hayward more than you would think. Mine seeped at one corner until I got a large (#3 Phillips, I believe) screwdriver and really cranked it down. The plastic was creaking to the point where I thought it would crack, but it didn't and the leak stopped.

Thanks i'll crank em tonight. This is the second time I've done a skimmer and I must say my least favorite repair.

i would unscrew everything and check to make sure the gasket is sitting flush with the liner. something as simple as a slight repositioning may stop the leak. put it back together and tighten all the screws. if there is still a leak you could try using a tube of silicone to caulk around the outside of the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.