Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New skimmer with slow leak

1. Back To Top    #1

New skimmer with slow leak

My Waterways skimmer had a crack in it so I replaced it with a Hayward SP109 WM a couple days ago.

I've noticed some waster running down by the corner of the skimmer, which is exacerbated if i push on the wall there with my finger.

I swear I tightened the screws until my fingers hurt, alternating tightening them.

Please does anyone have any idea of how I might be able to correct this or have any experience with this?
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New skimmer with slow leak

Nothing should ever have to be tightened like that. It is not uncommon for folks to have the gaskets wrong or be missing a gasket. I would review the installation instructions to be sure everything is on and on the correct side (inside or outside) of your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You have to tighten those screws in the Hayward more than you would think. Mine seeped at one corner until I got a large (#3 Phillips, I believe) screwdriver and really cranked it down. The plastic was creaking to the point where I thought it would crack, but it didn't and the leak stopped.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Nothing should ever have to be tightened like that. It is not uncommon for folks to have the gaskets wrong or be missing a gasket. I would review the installation instructions to be sure everything is on and on the correct side (inside or outside) of your pool.
    Everything is on correct. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    You have to tighten those screws in the Hayward more than you would think. Mine seeped at one corner until I got a large (#3 Phillips, I believe) screwdriver and really cranked it down. The plastic was creaking to the point where I thought it would crack, but it didn't and the leak stopped.
    Thanks i'll crank em tonight. This is the second time I've done a skimmer and I must say my least favorite repair.
    DE EC40

5. Back To Top    #5

i would unscrew everything and check to make sure the gasket is sitting flush with the liner. something as simple as a slight repositioning may stop the leak. put it back together and tighten all the screws. if there is still a leak you could try using a tube of silicone to caulk around the outside of the skimmer.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys all good now
    DE EC40