SPDT Digital Timer... Is this a good one for my application? (Intermatic ET1115C)

Apr 7, 2012
Ok! I'm looking to get rid of my mechanical Intermatic and go with a digital one because I now need to control my Hayward (see sig.) and my soon-to-be-new-to-me Stenner...

And I came across this timer by Intermatic:
http://www.grainger.com/product/INTERMATIC-SPDT-Electronic-Timer-WP104358/_/N-8heZ1z0o4py?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/13D099_AS01?$smthumb$#nav=%2Fproduct%2FINTERMATIC-SPDT-Electronic-Timer-WP104358%2F_%2FN-8heZ1z0o4pyZ1z0nm8nZ1z0j1w5%3FR%3D6KFF4%26_%3D1433979729907%26picUrl%3D%252F%252Fstatic.grainger.com%252Frp%252Fs%252Fis%252Fimage%252FGrainger%252F13D099_AS01%253F%2524smthumb%2524%26s_pp%3Dfalse
Which... if I'm reading it right is a SPDT switch that allows me to set the timer for each of the two poles independently of each other (so Pole 1, Pump, can be on from 8AM-6PM and Pole 2, Stenner, can be on from 10AM to 2PM... just as an example.)

Anyone ever use one or have another suggestion?

Thanks,
Pete :)

The et1115 is a single pole double throw which means it's one or the other... I think you meant to reference the et1125 which is double pole... I see you have a vsp pump and I didn't think those liked to be switched by turning power on and off to it... Even so, considering it's a 220v pump, you would need both poles in the timer to properly switch it, which would require you to have a second timer for the stenner...

As for your other question, I use the et1125 and haven't had any problems with them yet...

For anyone that finds this thread... this is what you want to control your pump and your Stenner from a single digital timer that can control each device independently:

Intermatic ET1125C

:) Pete

Sorta... If you have a 220 pump or 220 stenner, the timer will only control both if you want them to turn on and off at the same time as each other...

2 channels, yes.... It's 2 poles, one channel for each pole... You can set it up so you're only switching one leg of your 220 and in that case, you can use it like you first mentioned.... However, I feel this to be hackish at best since it still leaves one leg of power live to your pumps at all times... In my opinion and the way I do it is to set it up as simultaneous so that both poles are switched together, and you feed each leg of the 220 through the timer. This way, when the timer is off, no power to pump at all....

Now, if you run a 120v pump and a 120v stenner, then yes, you set it up as independent and the timer will control both independently...

That diagram to me shows the wiring of 120v devices to the timer... While it says 220 as part of the diagram, that is referencing 220v timer power, not necessarily 220v loads... That's why there's no jumpers diagramed between the l1 and l2 terminals with the other terminals on the timer. The diagram right above it shows 220v load and set as simultaneous

A single pole double throw switch is for things like a two speed pump. The switch moves power from one leg to another. For example, a two-speed pump has a "Common" line and to switch between high and low, you move power from one line in to another.

If both devices are 240 volts, you would want a timer with two DPST switches that operate independently. You might even want to invest in an automation option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.