Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New plaster---how long to wait before swapping to liquid chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

New plaster---how long to wait before swapping to liquid chlorine?

Plaster is now 6 days old, plaster company sent out someone to add chlorine shock (cal-hypo, even though my fill water CH is already 250), along with 7.5lbs of CYA (which should make 53ppm based on poomath), and of course muriatic acid. They also tossed two 3" trichlor tabs in a floater...I tossed another two tabs in a separate floater, figuring that will bring me up to a CYA reading of around 60 when it's all done...I know that's higher than recommended for liquid, but after 30-45 days I plan to change over to salt (already have the equipment, just didn't install because I knew the plaster job was coming).

So, my question is this: my FC is very low (.5-1.5), and my instinct is to add some liquid chlorine to raise it up to appropriate levels...however, I have read that you don't want to start tossing liquid in a new plaster pool because it raises the FC too fast. On one hand, I know there is chlorine being added by the pucks in the floater (which is also adding CYA slowly), but I wonder if it's enough to keep things under control as the levels slowly rise.

Should I add LC to raise the FC, or let the pucks float for now and exercise pool owner patience?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New plaster---how long to wait before swapping to liquid chlorine?

I would not think there is a problem with raising the FC with bleach ... after all you CYA is already up pretty high to buffer it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey, congrats on the new plaster! Definitely keep your chlorine level above the minimum for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. This is no time to get algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an article on new plaster.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, so I added a gallon of 10% last night, and this morning I got these readings (hadn't taken any full readings yet since it was so new and the plaster people wanted to "balance" the water before handing it over...I didn't want to let them, but since I didn't want to affect the warranty, I let them go for it):

FC 4.5 (added half gallon of 10% after this reading)
    CC 0
    PH 7.8 (added half gallon of 31% MA after this reading)
    TA 110-120
    CH 250

I didn't test CYA, because it's only been a couple of days since they added it. They added 7.5lbs, and along with the 4 trichlor tabs in the floaters, I expect it to fall within 50-60ppm and am just using that figure for now. The TA is high, and I wondered what could cause that, so I tested my fill water, and found that the fill water has a TA of 110, so I think that's just a fact of life; same with the CH.

Any other suggestions I should be thinking about?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, Cya and FC are usually brought up more slowly on new plaster, but they are handling it, so don't let them blame you for the chemistry if any issues arise. I don't assume they will, just mentioning it. It doesn't look like they are choosing any sort of particular start up procedure, so I guess you can let it ride as is unless they suggest otherwise. Congrats, and we'd love to see the pics when you can...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

you are on track. I wouldn't let your pool building add any more CYA to your pool.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Well, Cya and FC are usually brought up more slowly on new plaster, but they are handling it, so don't let them blame you for the chemistry if any issues arise. I don't assume they will, just mentioning it. It doesn't look like they are choosing any sort of particular start up procedure, so I guess you can let it ride as is unless they suggest otherwise. Congrats, and we'd love to see the pics when you can...
    Well, by "handling it" they provide one visit to do what they did...no further checks or work from them are part of the deal. Not sure how I could assert that there are chemistry issues and stand on level ground with them, they'll just assert they've been doing this forever and never had a problem before. But things look good (mostly, and the things that don't can't be fixed at this point)

What is the downside to raising the levels fast like they did? I'm sure they did this so they could do it in one visit and not have to come again, but I'm curious.

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey, I remember that pool. Looking good!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Just an update, things are looking good, keeping things in the correct range isn't hard if you stay on top of it; I removed the trichlor tabs on Friday, they were about half used maybe...been adding acid to keep the pH in check, and as expected, that is lowering the TA closer to correct levels:

FC 7.5
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 40-50

I had been shooting for the target levels closer to 50-60 relative CYA, but after todays CYA test, I think I'm good to roll with a FC in the 4-6 range.