Need advice! Pump performance

Jun 10, 2015
Canada
Hello all,

i currently use a Hayward Ultra Pro 1 HP pump sitting right beside my 18 feet round above ground pool.

i really would like to install solar panels up on roof of the house because it is above the tree line and also orientated south, which make me think its a perfect location.

Problem is, I have to carry water about 30 feet horizontally towards the house and then up 20 feet at gutter level and maybe another 3-4 feet on a slope (height of the panel) and back down.

I cant find the specs of my pump but I have called Hayward and they claim this particular pump has 50 feet of head. Not sure how this would translate.

Will my pump be able to raise water up there?

also the original idea was to cut the return hose, insert a 1 1/2 valve with a 1/2 outlet on either side (out to coil, and back from coil respectively) so I could control how much goes up there and have a decent turnover time as well.

as for the coil, simple 1/2 irrigation hose coiled on a 4 ft x 4 ft piece of plywood, possibly a few coils, connected one after another or in parallel? So many questions haha.

thanks in advance!

Will my pump be able to raise water up there?
Almost surely. Once you push the water up to the roof and the system fills with water, the water will "pull down" as it goes back down the piping just as hard as you had to push it going up.

PS - I know you didn't ask, but I don't think you will see much success with your idea......you do not have nearly the heating capacity you need.

Almost surely. Once you push the water up to the roof and the system fills with water, the water will "pull down" as it goes back down the piping just as hard as you had to push it going up.

PS - I know you didn't ask, but I don't think you will see much success with your idea......you do not have nearly the heating capacity you need.

Thank you for the imput. At least I know my pump can bring the water up there. By heating capacity you mean those coiks wont provide enough heat for the total volume? Do you have any suggestions to improve the output with DIY stuff or I should go commercial?

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.