Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Emergency question!,

1. Back To Top    #1

Emergency question!,

I just did a backwash on my pool as we have had so much rain in the last few days. I have rinsed my sand filter and cleaned out my pump basket. I replaced the water in my pump basket and closed the lid and put the system back on filter. When I do that all I get are air bubbles out of the jets. And the water in the pump basket drains out and doesn't came back. I am worried that I am going to burn the pump. Am I supposed to keep the lid open on the pump basket or close it to prevent all the water from draining Please help!
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Emergency question!,

Lid stays closed on the pump basket!

- - - Updated - - -

Once primed, you may have a small air bleed valve on your filter, somewhere on your system to "burp" any trapped air. But the pump basket lid stays on tightly when the pump is on.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

But it takes forever to refill. Is that normal?
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

4. Back To Top    #4

Typically no unless you opened your system and let a lot of air in for something. If it continues. you may want to stop to prevent overheating your pump until someone who has a filter system like yours can reply with more advice. Sorry, that's not in my ballpark.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

If it is taking a while to prime and start up, you may have a suction side air leak somewhere, unfortunately these can be hard to find. see Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

p.s. you said you had the basket open, did you check and lubricate the o-ring with pool lube or silicone lubricant?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Check the gasket under the pump strainer lid, and make sure you set the valve back to rinse or filter. You wouldn't be the first to set it to the wrong spot.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Check to make sure all of your valves coming from the pool are open. (don't ask how I know to look for this

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the responses. I re tightened the screws on the pump basket and it solved the problem. Thank you for the article on side leaks. I feel rather stupid now but I am a newbie learning the ropes.

9. Back To Top    #9

As long as the pool is fixed it's all good!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

The only way to learn is to try, do, and ask questions!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit