Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy splashing

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy splashing

New to this site. Not new to pools, just new to in ground pools. I have knowledge of chemical balancing. I opened this year without much problem. The local company that services pools is closing and I will undoubtedly be referring back to this site often in order to learn what I might have them do. I have a couple questions I need answered right now so I'll get right down to it. Oh yea, high desert in washington state with 100+ summers and -20 winters.
    16x32 ft rect. in ground pool shallow sloping to 8 ft diving area.one diving board, two ladders, no steps, two skimmers, two return jets, and one main drain.A sand filer, strainers at the skimmers, a main strainer, and a chlorine cavity. The area has desertsummer heat and hard long freezing conditions in winter. Not my first pool, just my first in ground.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy splashing

Welcome to TFP! As a seasoned pool person, we hope you have a trusty TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit handy? If not, the link is below. Happy to have you with us. Post pics or questions as needed. Enjoy!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

In addition to the test kit, here are a couple of other resources to get you started:

1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math

BTW, suggest clarifying you location to something along the lines of "Eastern Washington" or similar as virtually no one outside the PNW will know where Soap Lake is.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Danke, I used to work in a commercial HVAC location with water intercoolers. Gave me experience in chemicals and balancing. With that caveat, I already have learned a lot just by perusing this site. My past experience gave me the knowledge base to learn more.
    16x32 ft rect. in ground pool shallow sloping to 8 ft diving area.one diving board, two ladders, no steps, two skimmers, two return jets, and one main drain.A sand filer, strainers at the skimmers, a main strainer, and a chlorine cavity. The area has desertsummer heat and hard long freezing conditions in winter. Not my first pool, just my first in ground.