Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to get algea off the top

1. Back To Top    #1

How to get algea off the top

Hey everyone, I've never had a pool before, and bought my first home a few months ago, and it has a pool! It was black to begin with...

After a couple of weeks I have gotten it to this...

My question is simple I think, so here goes.
    I've shocked the **** out of her, and vacuumed the bottom, but how do I get the small bits of algea off of the top? I feel like I've read somewhere that you don't want to put it through the filter, but I'm in the dark. Lol
    If y'all could give me a little guidance I'd really appreciate it!
    Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to get algea off the top

Do you have a skimmer? Put a skimmer sock in it or some panty hose. Careful though, they clog up fast.

And welcome to TFP! And congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You can let it settle to the bottom, then vacuum to waste. (During your SLAM, of course!)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I went and got a package of socks for the skimmer, and when I got back, I decided to change out the sand (it was BAD), and the underdrain in the filter tank (I think it's called) was cracked, so tomorrow I'm gonna get a new a new one.
    Maybe if I'm lucky, when I get the sand all put in and tank attached, all the gunk will have sunk to the bottom and I can vacuum it out! Lol
    I don't have any accurate current test results right now because I've been shocking the heck out of it trying to get it to some level of clarity. Lol
    I know the Cl level has been bouncing between 6 and 22.

That's what it took to kill this stuff! Lol When I took the cover off, I couldn't see my hand six inches under!
    Thank you for all y'alls help!

6. Back To Top    #6

Mmmm, tasty! You'll be swimming in that pretty soon.
    TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Have you read the SLAM procedure outline mentioned above?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, I went through slam and used the pool math calculator, but it didn't help, so I got some "green to blue" stuff by hth and it cleared it up with two treatments.
    That was this afternoon after I finished vacuuming it again. Lol! I feel like all I really need to do now is balance it out and maintain. I tested it yesterday, and forgot about it today, but the levels are looking pretty good. I'll be swimming in it tomorrow! Lol

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know what you consider "going through" a SLAM, but it wasn't the procedure we suggest if it didn't work. It works every time without fail if it's done correctly.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem