Owner-builder pool startup

Jun 7, 2015
Norco, CA
Hello all!

I am just about finished with my owner-builder pool and getting my start-up procedures in order. The ETA for filling is the week of 06/22. I've talked to the company that will be doing my plaster (stonescapes mini-pebbles) and the plumbers that setup my equipment and they both recommended the traditional startup method. I've been reviewing the various articles on this site as well as others and have determined:

Once filled to skimmer:

1. Turn on pump and run filter 24x7 for the first week
2. No salt and keep SWG off for a month
3. Brush 2x+ daily
4. No automatic wheeled vacuum for the first month

I am confused as to what I should be doing chemical wise though. I've read the following:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.npconline.org/resource/resmgr/Docs/startup-card-current-rev3_wa.pdf

Both recommend a sequestrant immediately but have conflicting information on when to start the other chemicals. The TFP article says after 72 hours, the other recommends to start adjusting pH, TA, and CH immediately. Since the NPC chemical levels are all within TFPC standards (with exception of CH between 150-200 after pH and TA are balanced) I am guessing that is where I want to start.

Am I on the right path?
What sequestrant would you recommend?
I am planning on adding Borates, should I wait to do that until after the first month and everything is balanced? Borates - Why and How

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

-Matt

I would add the CYA needed and up to 40 or so to keep it lower during the month before he starts up his SWG. He can add additional CYA then to reach a CYA level of zabout 70 when your turning that SWG on for business.

Add the appropriate amount of bleach now based on 40 CYA, and brush around the time your adding the bleach. Your filter is on, right? I would not put a sequestrant in without having a test showing I have metals in the water.Do you have that reported someplace?

I would save the borax until all is well with the SWG start up and your chemistry tests look good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.