Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Day at the Swamp!

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Day at the Swamp!

Well, after what I considered a successful winter closing, the pool water stayed clear until a few weeks ago, when the storms and flooding came through. I hadn't opened the pool yet, because I was still taking a class. Anyway, a foot or more of swamp on top of my cover dumped into the pool when the cover fell in. Now the pool is a radioactive green. I've been running a sump pump all day, but now I need to know the next steps. The inside is going to need a thorough cleaning, but I don't know what with. Pump it dry? Leave a few inches and go from there? I haven't even hooked up the pump and filter yet (got a Hayward skimmer waiting in the wings too). Next steps?
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Day at the Swamp!

It's generally never a good idea to completely drain a pool unless replacing the liner. That is unfortunate what happened, but you can fix it. You have the right test kit, so that's a good start. I suspect while it's low you should try to get as much debris and muck out as you can until it's mostly just water. Then fill-up to the skimmer and calculate getting some stabilizer in there right away - shoot for 30 right now. Then use the poolmath calculator to keep FC at 2ppm for now until that CYA gets up to 30.

Also adjust PH to 7.2 in preparation for a SLAM. Once your CYA hits 30, and PH 7.2 SLAM it hard and don't stop until you pass ALL 3 requirements of a SLAM. Read the link below if you haven't done it before. At that time, the pump stays on 24/7 while you continue to keep the FC at the SLAM level and brush dialer.

Others may chime-in as well with some advice. We'll follow-up and help as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Stock-up on regular liquid bleach and be familiar with the SLAM and Chlorine/CYA links below. You will use them a lot the next few days.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay. I've slammed before (last year, but it wasn't this bad), so I'm familiar with the process.

One other question: see above the blue squares on the gray part of the liner that holds the frame? The black mildewy looking stuff - I'm guessing I can get that off with a mild bleach solution and scrub brush?
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably so. Bleach should be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Same thing happened to me. I drained all but a few inches because I had very high CYA and wanted to start over. It is a little bit wobbly when empty. It doesn't look nearly as bad as some of these inground pools that start out black.
    18ft. Ultra Frame Pool. 1hp Advantage pump. 18 inch sand filter. Skimmer from previous Easy Set suspended over pool. Barracuda Ranger cleaner, new Hayward Leaf canister which is the best purchase I have made. Lots of dust here from gravel roads plus tree stuff.

6. Back To Top    #6

Try a magic eraser on the black stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Just go ahead and fill it up the rest of the way and SLAM it. Run the pump 24x7. The same thing happened to me (cover collapsed into the pool). I went from this to this over a weekend:

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation