Thought this pool thing would be easy... help!

May 14, 2015
Troutman/NC
Hello, I've posted one other time here and we finally did manage to get it within a half an inch level so it's up, we've actually been swimming in it for the last couple of weeks. Then last weekend I noticed it was cloudy. So we added more salt. Then yesterday we found yellow film along the bottom and walls. I vacuumed it but there is so little flow I had to rinse the filter out 4 times and it still wasn't clean. I have literally read so many posts I think I'm more confused on what to do so I thought I could ask for some individualized help. I posted the equipment we have in my signature. Other than adding salt we have done nothing.

Can someone please give me an idea on what I need to do? Specifics as in brand and size/type etc would be SO awesome.
Buy a different filter? (Think I've read that ours is not sufficient and thinking going sand but will that solve the problem)
Shock it? (I've read you can still shock even if your using salt)
Install a new skimmer?
We live in NC, pollen levels are high and we leave it uncovered all the time..... should we cover it?

This site is full of information but I can't make heads of it right now. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 297
What are you test levels - for everything - CYA especially?

I had a friend with a new salt pool. He asked me why he could only keep his Cl high enough while running the system. Oh, no CYA, that will do it.

Nice dog! And deck!

Unfortunately, you have given a perfect description of the early stages of an algae outbreak. Usually caused by low chlorine levels. Chlorine level needs to be set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is important never to let the chlorine level drop below the minimum.

You can raise the chlorine level to 10ppm and Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to verify yhat there is algae consuming chlorine.

If you do have algae trowing then you will need to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.

If your filter is the stock filter from Intex (junk equipment from what I found), vacuuming the algae, or any ultra fine material will just put it back in the pool becasue it's too fine for the filter media. I bought a 1 micron bio diesel filter bag and attach it when vacuuming. Sometime I leave it on for a day or more and It gets my water crystal clear. I remember my poor wife spending over an hour vaccuming the pool, only to see a dirty stream coming from the pool return.

I've got an Intex sand filter. Fantastic upgrade, wish I hadn't fought the cartridge filter for the first 1-1/2 seasons. Directly compatible with everything you've already got. Go with the 16" model that holds 100lbs of sand if you go this route.

I made a PVC stand to hold my Intex skimmer more securely. It does a great job of cleaning the surface of my pool, and I've had no reason to upgrade.

The SWCG and bleach are both perfectly compatible ways of getting chlorine in your pool. I help my SWCG out by adding some bleach on high load days to keep the chlorine at appropriate level. If you have to SLAM, bleach will be required.

Have you found the info here in regards to CYA and the CYA / chlorine relationship? I'm assuming you brought your CYA to the recommended level and are trying to maintain your chlorine recommended corresponding level? That's pretty much key to avoiding algae, getting your CYA and chlorine up at fill time and maintaining them.

Pooldv, I will do my best to do what you are suggesting... I seriously don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. I'm not a da! Dog is 7, she's a mess..... wants in the pool ALL THE TIME.

Gtty, I spent almost 3 hours vacuuming ours....... what does that filter bag connect too? Where the water flows back into the pool?

Thank you jcp, I plan on buying the sand filter for sure, I can do that today but won't have it until next week and am hoping to figure out something before then. I don't want to just let it keep getting worse until I get the filter hoping it solves my problems.
You said you help it out by giving it bleach on "high load" day's, what does that mean?
I have read over the pool school and the Chlorine/CYA chart. It's honestly a bit confusing even after reading it over and checking to see what all the abbreviations mean. CYA is not bleach correct? I have not tested my levels just used those strips that say things are low. I did order the TF-100 and am hoping that it will give me some insight into what I'm missing. I plan on buying bleach today in hopes I get my kit tomorrow and will have it on hand. Do I need to buy anything else to have on hand for my results?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is Stabilizer. Without it the sun just burns off all your chlorine, too much of it and you chlorine won't work. There is a balance and you have to maintain a CYA/FC relationship. If you don't have any CYA in the pool that may be why you are growing algae.

I highly recommend that you spend some time reading, and re reading Pool School. The button at the upper right of this page. It will seem confusing at first but the more you read it will begin to make sense. Oh, and stay away from any pool store advice, it just wastes your time and money.

As chiefwej said CYA is stabilizer aka cyuranic acid. If you haven't added any, your level is 0.

Just FYI you should be able to find the Intex 16" sand filter for under $200 delivered. I bought mine from vminnovations, best price at the time, zero issues.

By "high load" I meant days when it's 100 degrees not a cloud in the sky, and an extra 5 or 10 kids in the pool all day. Sun breaks down chlorine and so does the "stuff" from people. So I had my SWCG set up to generate the proper amount of chlorine for our typical days. On days like I described it would use more chlorine, and I just made up the difference with bleach. For me it is easier than messing with the SWCG cycle.

BTW the better filter won't solve the problem by itself.

It will make it much easier to solve in conjunction with getting the chemicals right and doing the SLAM if necessary. Then it will make maintaining the pool, in combination with the proper chemical levels, much better, easier, and more enjoyable.

I would probably recommend getting away from the SWCG for now if you can, particularly if you've already got the beginnings of an algae outbreak. You can get the pool under control and balanced using bleach as your chlorine source. Once you get the situation under control and have gained a working knowledge of balancing the pool you can transition over to the SWCG as your chlorine source. JMHO

Thanks chiefwej, I've been reading it over and over and agree that it is starting to make sense a bit now. =))

I guess a little back story is that our neighbor has a 18' above ground intex with a sand filter and swg, he is constantly telling us how easy it is and he basically does nothing but 'boost' it using the button on the swg every now and then....so I've kindof already taken on the notion that it was nothing which obviously is not the case. So I'm trying to reprogram my brain! But they are an older couple with no grandkids around and I may have seen them actually in the pool once in two years. We have all been in ours every day since we got water in it!

jcp, all your information has been very helpful. I'm going to order the sand filter this evening and stop at the store to get bleach in waiting for my test to see how much I need to add. Will take your advice on not adding the extra stress of balancing with the swg until we are sorted out.

You guys are awesome, thank you!!

Thanks chiefwej, I've been reading it over and over and agree that it is starting to make sense a bit now. =))

I guess a little back story is that our neighbor has a 18' above ground intex with a sand filter and swg, he is constantly telling us how easy it is and he basically does nothing but 'boost' it using the button on the swg every now and then....so I've kindof already taken on the notion that it was nothing which obviously is not the case. So I'm trying to reprogram my brain! But they are an older couple with no grandkids around and I may have seen them actually in the pool once in two years. We have all been in ours every day since we got water in it!

jcp, all your information has been very helpful. I'm going to order the sand filter this evening and stop at the store to get bleach in waiting for my test to see how much I need to add. Will take your advice on not adding the extra stress of balancing with the swg until we are sorted out.

You guys are awesome, thank you!!

Sounds good. Not sure if I'm reading that right, but keep running your SWCG or adding at least 2ppm daily with bleach until your test kit comes in. Can't give you more specific advice till you get measurements, but don't want you to not add anything waiting on the test kit.

Pool and deck (and dog!) look awesome! We have a similar situation with a bunch of trees around our pool and have had a ton of pollen.

Getting the test kit and going through pool school will sort you out. It seems intimidating at first, but once you get going with it you will be fine!

Wanted to follow up and thank everyone. We used the TF100 and were able to get the water cleared up. We also are almost finished with our deck project so I'm posting an updated pic =) Thanks all, we are so happy!
View attachment 40431
Would you say that having accurate test results at your fingertips whenever you want them has helped you gain control?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.