making an adaptor for intex sand filter to garden hose

May 29, 2015
Wahpeton, ND
I am trying to find a way to hook my cheapie intex vacuum (cheapie that came with pool) up to my sand filter without the wait time of ordering new parts.
Here's my situation. We have cottonwood trees that are doing their thing right now so every morning I am having to vaccum tons of tiny little seeds off the bottom of the pool. I do not have a skimmer yet. I would like to have a hose that hooks up to the pump feeding water pressure to the vacuum. This way I am not adding or taking water away from the pool every day.
I went to my local hardware store today and had someone rig something up for me. Thought it was going to work great! Got home, hooked it up to the pump only to find out that the threadding or somerhing is off so it leaked. I did proceed to use it though and it did exactly what I wanted And worked better than the garden hose hooked up to the faucet on the house.
Is there anything I can do or add to make this contraption work with the intex sand pump?
View attachment 38112

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what it looks like hooked to pumpView attachment 38114

Where is it leaking? Great idea btw!

I would assume you didn't use teflon tape, or enough tape where it is leaking.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit, I see the tape being used. It probably was not used on the threads coming out of the filter though. With no gasket on the inside (like your hose end has) it will need tape every time you use it. That or just deal with the small leak.

I made one out of a tee that sits between my pump and the return eyeball. I hang the hose on the ladder for use as a footwash. I put a nozzle on the end so it can be shut off. It can also be used as a fountain if I need to raise my ph.

There is a plunger valve at the eyeball, so if I need more pressure through the hose, I can close it partially or all the way to redirect water to the hose.

I just added an extra flat rubber gasket between the Intex hose and the PVC, and it doesn't leak at all.

temporary_zpslhgl0qes.jpg

Thanks! Yes it is leaking where the adapter screws to the tank. The guy at the hardware store glued and taped all the pieces making up my "adapter". I can handle a small leak while vacuuming the pool. I'm guessing the threads are different? i don't want to ruine the threads on my sand filter connecting the two parts every time I vacuum...could this happen? They screw together with no extra force...seems like a good fit until I turn the pump on.

Nope they are the same threads. Threads do not form a perfect seal though.

Look at the end that spins on a garden hose. See the rubber gasket inside? That is what stops those threads from leaking. If you dont tighten it down enough that gasket wont work and it will leak.

Look at the end of the Intex hose. Same type of gasket correct?

Look at your adapter. No gasket.

If you wrapped teflon tape around the threaded part of the pump a few times it would seal it up. Problem is when you took it back off a few times, the tape will get ruined and you would have to reapply. The connection will be a much tighter fit when it has tape on it as well. Wont screw on extremely easy. You will have to use a little muscle to get it screwed down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.