Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendation for a small AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendation for a small AGP

I am looking for a recommendation for a cartridge filter and pump for a small above ground pool.

What is the ideal HP. Is using a .5 HP pump ok? And what about the sq footage for a the cartridge filter?

Would you guys recommend using this as my timer? It seems fine but my concern is that it will short or get damaged when it rains. I have one of those bubble GFCI outlet boxes but the pump plugs into this and I'm worried about the rain.

Amazon.com : 24 Hour Above Ground Pool Pump Timer : Swimming Pool Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks!
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendation for a small AGP

Most Intex owners seem to prefer the sand filter upgrade over the cartridge filters. Maybe take a look at those before you decide.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

oops should have clarified this is for a new 15' AGP I will be getting soon with about 5,000 gallons.

Anyone have a suggestion for a cartridge filter and pump unit? Thanks
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Yes, .5 hp is large enough for a 15" pool. But I'll echo pooldv and suggest that you get a sand filter/pump combo instead. It's much less hassle in the long run. This one would be perfect for your pool: Walmart: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump

It has a timer built in, so you won't need a separate timer. Some of the larger Intex cartridge filters have timers too, if you decide you really do want a cartridge system. So wait on the timer until you decide on a pump.

A saltwater generator is another item you might consider, but resist the urge to get the pump/filter/SWG combo. One part will always fail first, and you'll be left needing to replace the entire unit. Get a stand-alone SWG instead. You can always wait to add that later if you wish.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation