Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA/FC chart

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA/FC chart

Which chart should a person use there is 2 of them one older is the new one better? It seems my FC should be higher with the new one. Or is either ok to use?
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA/FC chart

Are you talking about this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

One is for a pool without an SWG and one is for a pool with an SWG.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

This one:

Chlorine/CYA Chart
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

4. Back To Top    #4

Steve thanks,
    What is the other one about it looks like it requires you to keep your FC higher then the one you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2177-Chlorine-CYA-Chart This one is the other I was referring to.
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool school is a rounded version of Chemgeeks to simplify it.

Acknowledgment: The original Chlorine/CYA "Best Guess" chart was developed by Ben Powell. Richard Falk (chem geek) has refined and expanded on that original to produce the Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chem Geek based on experiences with members on this forum and the old Pool Forum and conformation to chemical theory.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

The one you just posted has more decimal places ... they should round to the simplified one in Pool School.

I guess I do not see the difference you are talking about.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason,
    So on the pool school chart if you have a CYA of say 80 you MinFC is 4 and the target is 6. Then the other one has a MinFC of 5.8 and a target of 9.1 for a CYA level the same. Look I don't want to be a nut case if the one posted in pool school is good I will stay with that.

8. Back To Top    #8

I just compared the 2 charts and they appear to coincide. Chemgeek's detailed chart was simply rounded-up or down for the more common chart (non-SWG) we use.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks sorry for the confusion on my part

10. Back To Top    #10

Perhaps that's where the confusion is ... Non-SWG chart versus the SWG below it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

The chart I made has non-SWG values. I refer to SWG values in the later text in terms of a percentage (4.5% of the CYA level) but I don't show a chart for it whereas the Pool School SWG chart rounds to roughly 5% of the CYA level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes! I see this now. Once again thanks for getting me straight I had never seen the link before and I didn't realize what I was looking at. My pool water has become kind of an obsession and I love to tweak it to all of the recommended levels you guys have so when I got confused I had to ask.