Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA but everything seems okay ??

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA but everything seems okay ??

Hello all
    Tested a mates pool this morning and these are the results.

Fc 16 CC 0 CYA 150 TA 110 PH 7.2 CH 230
    adjusted PH already

Not as bad as thought after using trichlor for a long time. We live in the tropics and have just been through the wet season and still getting a lot rain. [not so much in inches we're talking feet ]
    I suggested maybe a partial drain [tiled concrete pool, no ground water] so thats not a hassle, but water has to be trucked in and could have metals in it.

So this is my Query because we get a lot of rain i said that he could perhaps just use bleach and let the cya come down with rain and backwashing. So what are the opinons on that plan of attack .

happy swims Frank
    ps The pool gets light use and gets a fair bit of shade. Never seen it before it's a beautifull pool with great landscaping, maybe he can give us a photo as i will send this link to him.
    thanks again
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: High CYA but everything seems okay ??

just use bleach and let the cya come down with rain and backwashing. So what are the opinons on that plan of attack .
    That's a good plan, especially because the outside water source is of questionable quality. It sounds like you could have the CYA manageable (and then be able to lower FC) within a season or so. Meanwhile, I assume he knows to keep the FC up right around where it is because of the high CYA. I would not let FC get much below 8ppm until CYA got down below 100.

Your friend should log on and learn about BBB for himself. History on these forums has shown that trying to "convince" a friend is not always successful and often ends in frustration for the "helper" (you).
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School