Starting the BBB system with my GREEN POOL!!! HELP

Jun 10, 2015
Bridge City/Texas
I am starting my 3rd season with my above ground pool. Its was green so I drained it and started refilling yesterday.

Yes it is still GREEN. I am letting it over flow at the moment to get all of the surface algae out of the pool.

Question 1) When I start my pump tonight..will I need to change out my sand as well? I just put it in last summer.

Question 2) Should I go ahead and brush the sides and bottom tonight?

Question 3) How much of everything should I need to go with the BBB system for a pool this small?

My pool is about your size (5300 gallons) and I have to add about 4-5 cups of 8.25% bleach per day. I live in Houston and the sun and heat can really make your chlorine dissipate fast even with a CYA of 50.

When I add bleach, I not only run the pump but brush a bit later to stir up chlorine that may have sunk to the bottom as it's a bit denser than water. And I always do it at night so the FC has much more time to do it's job before the sun starts depleting it the next day.

As for sand filter, someone else would have to answer that as I don't have a sand filter, but I would guess you would need to change out the sand if you're running green yuckies through it, the question is when, and I'm not sure of the answer.

Get a good test kit like the TF-100 or T K2006 and post your test results. (If you can afford it, get "Speed Stir" as well. it's a Godsend!)
Right now we're all flying blind because we don't know your numbers.

What is "Speed Stir"? Is that the little pill thing that they use at the pool place?
Yup,

Here are the links to what you want:

Order TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. Yo need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

SpeedStir

Sample Sizer.

They speed testing and accuracy

Selinda, your scenario raises a few questions for me:
- Are you filling with well water by chance?
- Have you put ANY chemicals in your pool since it was refilled yesterday? Anything at all?
- We must have test readings - no question. And they can't be from test strips or the pool store. :( Sorry, those just don't give the readings we need. Please consider getting one of the kits mentioned above.
- Very odd that you just filled it yesterday and it's already green? Another reason I ask about where you get the water from.
- No need to waste water and overfill - if it's green right now, it's green. You need to maintain the proper chemical level(s) to correct the problem (i.e. TF-100 test kit)
Question 1: No
Question 2: Yes, and more than likely quite often every day until this gets resolved; also keep pump running 24/7 for now
Question 3: Don't know until you get us test results from one of the recommended test kits; it would be a total guess. I can say with 99.9% accuracy though that if your pool is green, it will more than likely require a "SLAM". You can read "SLAM" in the link below in my signature.

There are a couple chemicals that are typically needed right away when a pool is filled with new water, so your answers above are critical before we go forward. Keep in touch!

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The last 2 years if my pool got green I would break it down and pressure wash it then refill. Then go to the local pool place and get what I needed. This year I was just not physically able to do all that and was tired of spending thousands of dollars every year to keep up with it. Last year I just got fed-up and left it full.

-When I emptied this time it still had algae at the bottom of the pool when I refilled. This is why it is still green now that I have refilled.
-I have put nothing in the pool at all but water.
-I am planning on getting my kit ASAP. (Can I just buy it at WALLY WORLD?)

Good to know you will be getting the proper kit. :goodjob: Unfortunately no, you can't get it at Wally-World. :) You have to get it on-line (se TF-100 link below). The good thing is they are quick and provide an excellent product. If you order the TF-100 (which I recommend), also consider requesting the "Speed stir" (swirling mixer) and "XL" which is a little extra reagent that you will need. This product will make pool care much accurate and efficient for you. No more trips ($$$) to the pool store! :)

Until that kit arrives, simply do the following:
- Add about 1/2 gallon of regular liquid bleach to your water each day and let it mix around. Continue to scrub and sweep if you physically can.
- Remove any store tablets or pucks until we know what your stabilizer (CYA) level is; do not add any other products to your water
- Be prepared to purchase several gallons of liquid bleach. Perhaps figure at least 6-8 at first - maybe more; Wally-World Great Value works just fine.
- Read ahead on the link below for "SLAM". This is what we will do once your kit arrives.

By the way ... is your water city or well water?

Thank you so much for all of your help. Sorry it is City water and we have LOTS OF PROBLEMS with the city filtration system. At times I have filled my pool while gone to work and it looks like a filthy lake when I get home. I do know there are a lot of metals in my water. I am planning on making the filter I saw with cotton batting to get the metal out once everything else is done. How much baking soda and borax would you think I should keep on hand as a "JUST IN CASE"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Selinda! We're still here. :wave: Here in Texas, we can get the generic bleach at HEB or Wal-Mart. I got some today. 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite is the active ingredient on the bottle. But here's a question I have for you ...

- If you just filled with new water, it's very unusual that there would be any stabilizer (CYA) in there already. How do you know yours is 30? Did you get your test kit? Which one please?-
- If you are positive about your CYA being 30, then you need to get that FC up with liquid bleach right away to keep algae away. Remember, the liquid bleach increases your FC (good chlorine). That FC target number is 4, but as hot as it's been here, I would say 5.
- Can you remind us where you learned there are metals in your water? Normally that's what we hear from folks with well water, but you have city water correct?
- Your PH, TA, and CH are fine for now.

In this heat, just watch your FC and keep it at about 5 for now. If you learn that your CYA is truly 30 and you lose FC too quick by the end of the day, then you can always add more stabilizer to increase your CYA to 40 and try again. I don't want to overload you with info, so just ask if you have any questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.