Need help on filter sand

Jun 10, 2015
Siloam Springs
I need to know if anyone has used this sand in their intex sand filter. I have read my manuel and it states to use #20 silica sand with particle range of .45-.85. The only sand i have been able to find in my area is quikcret sand that has a particle size of .425-.85 so the particle size is too small. I have called the pool supply stores in my area and all they carry is sea gull pool sand. No particle size on the package and when i search for information on the internet i cannot find this sand with the particle size listed. Please help. Thanks!

Here is a picture of the seagull sand

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139154&d=1367959790

The thing I'd be concerned about on that package is the listing for course or medium filter. I'd want to know what that means.

By the way, the Quikrete pool filter sand would work just fine. The difference between what they call for and what Quikrete states is only .025mm which is less than 1000th of an inch.

So backwashing will take out any smaller particles? If so then ill go with the quikcrete thanks for all your help!

I have now used 3 different kinds of sand in my intex sand pump and one of them was the quikrete and I have sand all over the bottom of my pool. I don't k own where to find the right particle size sand and I'm so frustrated. I'm ready to hook my filter pump back up

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.