Sta Rite PH ?

rob.mwpropane

In The Industry
Jun 9, 2015
Baldwin, Maryland
Ok gurus (and I mean that, this site has been awesome!!), I bought a 400K Sta Rite PH from CR. I tore it apart and had a look at the heat exchanger. It really looks in good shape (for what I paid anyway), but has some green (petina?)/ scale / corrosion?? on it. Is there anything I can soak it in to clean it? I've seen plenty of stuff on the internet about muriatic acid, and then some people say absolutely not to use it?? Any suggestions?? FWIW, I powerwashed the exchanger. It had some dust on it, and the green stuff, but overall in good shape.

Next question, I have a salt water pool. My current plan is to connect the PH, but to have a valve and T's inline to bypass when not in use. I was also thinking to have hose bibs rigged to be able to flush the unit with fresh water when not in use so no salt is sitting in it to corrode it, and possibly let it drain after each use (or just leave the fresh water in it??). My pool is only 12,500 gallons or so, so the unit will only be in use very minimal (should be able to raise pool temp~10F in under 2 hours). I know this is way overkill, but if I ever get a bigger pool I'll be ok;)

I do plan to bond it, and run an anode underground (I bury underground propane tanks and have an understanding of cathodic protection).

I'm looking for feedback on these ideas, mainly because I haven't seen any such setup. My goal is to have the heat exchanger (which is the most expensive part) last as long as possible.

Thanks to all!!

If it is merely a patina, I would leave it alone. If you have some real build-up, you can carefully use acid but I would avoid it if you think the exchanger will function without it.

I would connect the heater with unions so it can be disconnected entirely but the pool will still function. Sort of a bypass but serving as a disconnect as well.

The level of salt for an SWG will not harm the interior of a pool heater.

Stagnant water would be a problem, though.

20150601_164142.jpg20150601_164150.jpg
Here's pictures of before I powerwashed it. A lot did come off, just not all.

Edited: ......And to add, the pentair unions that are installed with the unit would do the trick, plus it has a petcock to drain with. I was thinking valve off, flush with fresh, then drain 100%? I know its 1/10 the salt in saltwater, but salt is salt, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.