Intex SWG "Low Salt" Fault

AngryA

Jun 26, 2012
I recently purchased a Coleman 16x48 ultra frame pool. In addition I purchsed the Intex SWG (7k Gallon model). After following the salt table in the manual and the set up directions I started the SWG only to get the "low salt" light after approx 3 minutes. I added 160 lbs of salt to the pool (125 initially and then an additional 35 when the "low salt" indicator came on the first time). This met with the same results. The "low salt" indicator after 2-3 minutes. I tried 3-4 times to reset the SWG with the same results.

What is my next move?

a. Test water for salt content?

b. Return the SWG and replace it?

Please help. I'm a noob and I need a few suggestions on where to start.

TIA,
AngryA

Welcome to TFP. I recommend getting a Taylor salt test kit like the one linked in my signature. Test your salt to see if it truly is low. If it is not, since your unit is brand new I doubt you have build up on the cell yet. I would contact Intex and they will likely replace it for you.

Thank you all for your help.

I bought a salt test strip kit and the salt is at 3500ppm (+/-). So, there is no lack of salt in the pool.

When I got home from work the kids were in the pool. This was the first time in the pool since I added the salt. When they were done in the pool I turned on the filter and then the SWG. With fingers crossed I watched as the the "working" light flashed and then went solid. I stood there for a good 3-4 minutes and no "Low Salt" light. Hallelujah!

It turns out that the salt just need to to be more evenly dispersed and the kids did a great job! The pump I have is the pump that comes with the pool(1500GPH). I will definitely upgrade in the future to a larger GPH sand filter.

Thanks all for the help.

I had the pump running for about 4-6 hours with a 1 hour cool down in between for about two days. The pump isn't all that great (and I clean the filter everyday).

The other thing that bothered me a bit is that the SWG for up to 7k Gal pools should run for 5-7 hours/day (for 5k Gal pool). That's a lot of electricity. The SWG for up to 15k gal pool only needs to run half that time. For the price difference (walmart.com) I should have initially ordered the bigger one. I ordered it this morning and will return the 7k gal unit. I like saving money on electricity.

If anyone s interested they are on sale for 50% off.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40900286?reviews_limit=5&

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.