Here we go with the SLAM ...

May 24, 2015
Paxinos PA
I'm a little nervous. I'm a little apprehensive. I called my husband for moral support. Now I'm coming to you guys :neutral: I started the SLAM this morning just about a 1/2 hour ago. Although our water was perfectly clear, the pool is just not holding chlorine. I was adding over a gallon of bleach every day. I did an OCLT on 6/7 and passed, but the next night we didn't pass and the CC = 1, so I figured I needed to bite the bullet and SLAM.

Since our CYA = 60, I am taking it to a SLAM level of 24. Prior to starting our pH was 7.5. I will check the FC before I leave for work at 12:30, but then won't be able to check it again until I get home after 9pm. So, I may not make a lot of progress today since I won't be home to babysit the pool for the better part of the day, but I'll keep you posted.

I keep thinking in the back of my mind "the people at the pool store/PB wouldn't approve of this and if I ruin something, it's going to be my fault." So, wish me luck!

hmmm, maybe something behind the light or under stairs, something is in there somewhere.. taking it to 24 is a great idea and see where it is tonight :)

We don't have any lights, so I can rule that out. My daughter swam under the ladder last night and she claims there's nothing there either. The pool people have been telling me "phosphates" and want me to do Phos-Free. I did it once and within a day the phosphates were "back." I'm trying to avoid the whole Phos-Free procedure. Been there, done that. If it is "phosphates" how in the world would you ever avoid them in the future?!

not phosphates, it does not matter as long as chlorine is at the required level...

You say your water looks great, you may be getting CC from normal use and as long as your FC is above the recommended level you are good..

AT a CYA of 60 you should stay above 5 at all times.. so what are you taking fc to daily 8/9? You will normally lose 2 to 4 fc daily with sun and normal use..

This is what I would suggest

1. test tonight after the sun goes down
2. test before sun comes up
3. if you lose less than 1 and your cc is less than .5 you are good
4. if not continue to SLAM OR if you have less than that
5. let fc drop to 7 and raise back to 9 daily
:)

FC = 30 at 12 noon

A little higher than 24, but it does give me some leeway for the afternoon. :) I think I am also going to use 22,000 gal on PoolMath to get my chlorine numbers. 22,400 gal seems to be taking me over frequently.

After adding chlorine in the morning per PoolMath calculations, here's what the numbers looked like the last couple days:
6/8 530am FC = 5.6 CC = 0.5 Added chlorine to get to FC = 9/10
900am FC = 13.5
1200pm FC = 12.5 CC = 0
1000pm FC = 6.4 CC = 0

6/9 530am FC = 5.2 CC = 1 -- added chlorine
730am FC = 14
350pm FC = 9
700pm FC = 8 CC = 0

6/10 530am FC = 6 CC = 0.5

Around 11am is when I started the SLAM process.

I just feel like we're losing too much chlorine over the course of the day. No heavy swim activity. Over the last couple days, my daughter was the only one in the pool for about an hour.

good morning, as long as the pump is circulating, 30 to 60 minutes later you can test for FC.. with a CYA of 60 that is alot of FC loss, i really think you caught an algae bloom before you really saw it, and that is awesome :)

What probably happened is you dipped below 5/6 fc for a little while and a bloom started but you could not see it, the good part of that is your SLAM should not take long...

Once your done with the SLAM try to keep it above 7 fc at all times

is your filter pressure rising? That would indicate your filtering out something that your killing.

what fc did you take it to last night or did you leave it at 13?

what is it at this morning?

we will get this :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cowboycasey -- thanks for responding!

I did not go out and measure it again last night 'cause it was 10pm when I added the 3 gal of bleach (to take it back up to shock level -- about 24ppm) and everybody went to bed until I would've been able to "accurately" test it again. I didn't want to go out in the dark by myself -- yep, sometimes a scaredy-cat in the country.

So, this morning's (6AM) results were: (since it was above SLAM level, I didn't add more chlorine this morning. I thought I had enough of a buffer to get thru my work day)
FC = 28.5
CC = 0

Just got home from work (345PM) and tested again:
FC = 15.5
CC = 0

I did re-test my CYA and that is at 50. So, I guess now I can back my SLAM level down to 20.

is your filter pressure rising?
No, it's not. Maintaining at 20psi ...

If I were home all the time and could really keep at this SLAMing so my level doesn't drop, it would be sooooo much better! I know today the kids are going to want to swim because it's 90 degrees and about 95% humidity here in central PA!

ok, you lost 13 fc today, lets do a test

1. take it to SLAM level for 50 CYA, 20 FC, test 1 hour later... log fc level, is it 20? 18? 22?
2. test fc after sun goes down log fc level
3. test before sun comes up log fc level

we need to find out if there is greenies you are killing or if the sun is eating fc

how does that sound?

can you post pictures?

we will get this, dont worry :)

We are on the same page! I added 149oz of bleach at 530PM. At 630PM, FC = 21. I thought I would test again at 8PM. That allows me enough time to bring the water back up to SLAM level (20) if it needs it, then re-test in an hour, before I call it a night.

I do have pictures on another thread I started titled "New pool, new test kit, not holding chlorine" or something along that line. The water looks exactly the same. It is perfectly crystal clear. If you can't find those pictures, I can try to re-post them.

It's sad when I wake up at 530 in the morning without an alarm clock 'cause I subconsciously know I need to go test the water before the sun comes up! :p

Thanks for helping me out.

We are on the same page! I added 149oz of bleach at 530PM. At 630PM, FC = 21. I thought I would test again at 8PM. That allows me enough time to bring the water back up to SLAM level (20) if it needs it, then re-test in an hour, before I call it a night.

I do have pictures on another thread I started titled "New pool, new test kit, not holding chlorine" or something along that line. The water looks exactly the same. It is perfectly crystal clear. If you can't find those pictures, I can try to re-post them.

It's sad when I wake up at 530 in the morning without an alarm clock 'cause I subconsciously know I need to go test the water before the sun comes up! :p

Thanks for helping me out.

Lol im with you in the 530 wake-up to test

So at 8PM we got this torrential downpour complete with close-range thunder and lightning. No way was I going near water!!! Finally at 9PM it subsided enough for me to race for a water sample.

FC = 18

I think this is where I'm going to leave it for the night. I would love to add more chlorine to bring it up to SLAM, but it's still rumbling, lightning, and lightly raining out there. Plus, I don't know that my eyes would last another 1/2 hour or hour to re-test before going to bed.

I'll test it again in the morning and hopefully we didn't lose a ton of FC. Tomorrow is a 9-5 kind of day, so I won't be able to check the pool very frequently. :(

This morning FC = 13 CC = 0 -- loss of 5 :-x

Going out to add more 2 gal of bleach. Add now, can re-test before I go to work. I would've loved to have this SLAM finished before the weekend, but it's not looking that way!:(

OK, with a loss of 5 you know you are fighting something in the water, but you are losing less each day, keep doing what you have been doing... Your getting there... Great job

If -- when I re-test the water before work -- the FC is right around 20, do you think I should add more bleach to boost it up a little bit? My concern is: at 20, I don't have much leeway for a decrease in SLAM level until I get home at 5pm. Given a CYA = 50 I didn't know how many ppm I could go over on the SLAM level. Can I take it to 30?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.