Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump - Tank Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump - Tank Question

My liquidator works ok, but I am not enamored with the quality of it. I too am trying to put together a dosing system. I have a BubbleMagus BM-T01 pump with three heads which hopefully will do the trick. With the help of another guy in Houston, I was able to get 25 gallons of really good quality 12.5% bleach in a plastic, safe for bleach container. The biggest problem is the gassing off of the bleach. If I seal the tank it expands, if I let it open ever so slightly, I assume I am losing strength, no?
    Swim 'N Play Deluxe 8000 15 x 30 (buttress free, vinyl)
    13,500 gallons
    Hayward horse and a half pump
    Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump - Tank Question

I would be concerned with using 25 gallons of 12.5% bleach to dose a 13,500 gallon pool. Storage life of Chlorine is discussed in the thread Shelf-Life-for-Liquid-Chlorine. I have a 20,000 gallon pool and a 15 gallon tank which I believe will last me about 45 days. With your 13,500 gallon pool, 25 gallons would last about 111 days under the same conditions as my pool. 111 days is nearly the half life of 10% Chlorine. Over 111 days, 10% Chlorine would be about 5% at 111 days and net about 7% per day over the 111 days. From the link, I guess the half life of 12.5% would be at best 80 days which would be about 4.7% at 111 days and net about 8% per day over the 111 days. So ... if you can get the 12.5% chlorine for not much more than other concentrations, go ahead and use the 12.5%, but recognize you may need to adjust dosing schedule more than with lower concentrations due to their longer shelf life.

Gary
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

3. Back To Top    #3

Bleach will offgas and even the bottles you buy in the grocery have vents on them. It's not losing strength just because it's vented, so it's ok to let it vent a little.

I'm not sure about the Bubble Magus pump. The BM-T01 says it'll dose up to 2 litres per cycle and it'll do 24 cycles a day, so that should be enough to chlorinate the pool, however, I can't find any info on materials of construction to make sure it's safe to use bleach in it. It'd probably be wise to contact the mfg or vendor and make sure it's ok to use.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand about the off-gassing but it so hard to find the stuff in Houston, I often wonder the actual strength of the stuff I was getting ripped off for at Lowes.

Gonna try this and see what happens.
    Swim 'N Play Deluxe 8000 15 x 30 (buttress free, vinyl)
    13,500 gallons
    Hayward horse and a half pump
    Hayward sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

To answer your question about off gasing. I just drilled a tiny hole in my 15 gallon container to off gas. I have not noticed a change in chlorine usage going up due to a decrease in strength ( hard to tell since it is now summer and temp has risen along with normal chlorine demand).
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a stenner and I did not drill a hole, when I installed I was told not to worry about it...that the natural extraction of bleach, allows the gas buildup to be minimized.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover