Gas Heater vs Heat Pump?

Oct 12, 2013
I live in NJ and have about a 35,000-40,000 gallon pool and about 20x40ft. July/August pool temps are usually pretty warm without any help, but May/June/Sept can be a little chilly. I was considering replacing the old broken heater that was here when I moved in. I would just want 78degree temps or so in the early and later months. I already have a gas line there from the old heater. I'm trying to find the lowest monthly cost solution. I was considering a heat pump over a gas pump. Any advice or suggestions?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I used to live in Maryland and fixing heat pumps and dealing with them was one of my jobs. Heat pumps are low cost to run but they require a long time to get the pool temp up to where you need it. Depending on size and make, it's from 1-3 weeks. Once the desired water temp is reached, it maintains it as well as a gas heater. With a gas heater, you're looking at 10-15 hours. So, its simply a matter of how much time you can wait. Of course, a heat pump would be virtually useless if you have a spa.

I have a new pool/spa with a heat pump and propane heater. I tried once to heat the pool with the heat pump by turning it on at 1 AM and by noon the pool was at 80. The starting pool temp was probably 72F. My heat pump is programmed to heat the spa every day starting at 6 PM. It heats the spa to 103 no problem, but it heats it up at a rate of about 10-12 F/hr. If the spa is 75 F at 6 PM, the spa will hit 103 in 2.5 hours. As a test I heated the spa to 104 and the heat pump did just fine. Not sure how many gallons in the spa, but it is bigger than I wanted and I'm guessing about 1,000 gallons. I have never used the propane heater in the 2.5 months I've had the pool. The economic choice between a heat pump and a gas heater comes down to the price of electricity and gas. My propane is $2.35 and my electricity is anywhere from $0.05/kWh to $0.31/kWh depending on my assumptions. I happen to have excess electricity from my solar panels which makes my electricity cost $0.05/kWh. Essentially I have solar heat through my heat pump and electric solar panels. There is no question, my heat pump will heat my spa just fine...it just takes a little longer or better planning. The heat pump efficiency drops off when it is cooler outside.

I used to live in Maryland and fixing heat pumps and dealing with them was one of my jobs. Heat pumps are low cost to run but they require a long time to get the pool temp up to where you need it. Depending on size and make, it's from 1-3 weeks. Once the desired water temp is reached, it maintains it as well as a gas heater. With a gas heater, you're looking at 10-15 hours. So, its simply a matter of how much time you can wait. Of course, a heat pump would be virtually useless if you have a spa.

1to3 weeks???? My HP heats my pool about 5or6 degrees in 24 hrs.

Would you mind sharing what model heat pump you have? I'm assuming you recommend it? I probably won't buy a heater until next year but starting my research

Thanks

Does it raise your electric bill quite a bit?

Hayward 140k heatpro. Would absolutely recommend it. Its very quiet too. It does cost some $ to run though...I can't compare to gas though. It would def be cheaper to run than using propane though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Pentair electric heat Pump and love it. Mine can usually build at least 10 degrees over 24hrs in the early spring (65-70 during day 50-60 at night). The great thing about it is how it both heats and cools, so what ever temp you set it at is where it will stay. That is especially nice with an autocover in the middle of summer (southern IL pushes 100degrees). It is very efficient, but is expensive up front. My home is all electric and I can hardly tell the pool is on my bills, expect very early spring when we have late cold snaps that last a while like this year. Even then, its not much.

Hi,
I'm in the process of interviewing pool builders and trying to get the lay of the land before I make a decision on who to use to build my pool. We're thinking of putting in a rather large pool -- 18X42 or so, with a deep end (8 feet). We've decided against a spa, as we'll never use it. We heat with gas -- so there's gas available from the street. Some pool builders have recommended a heat pump and others say "No! -- not in New England," and recommend we go with a gas heater, instead. I'd like to open the pool in mid-May and close it at the end of September. Will a heat pump suffice or will it not be able to keep up with potentially cool nights and not be able to heat the pool to, say, 78 or 80 degrees or so (I'm thinking if the days are still cool then, I'd want the water a bit warmer than usual).

Any outside temperature below 60 will hamper the efficiency of the heat pump. No fast heat up times either. Pretty much leave it on all the time during the end of summer and before you close if you want to swim at some point before you close the pool for winter.

I find this to be a hard question to answer as it really depends on what your expectations are, what your weather is like and what your utility rates are. Where I am, I have natural gas plumbed into the house and, on a unit energy basis, the NG costs about 1/3 of what the electricity does. Propane is typically much more costly than NG or electric.

But here's a way to look at it - a BTU is the amount of energy needed to raise 1 lb of water by 1 deg F (assuming no thermal losses to the environment). So a 35,000 gallon pool has approximately 290,500 lbs of water in it. So to raise the pool 1 deg F in one hour you need a heater capable of supplying 290,500 BTU/hr. However, you will have evaporative heat loss if the water is not covered by a solar blanket AND the circulation system is inefficient (water is mostly drawn from the surface of the pool and returned close to the surface). Therefore, I'd say you'd need double that BTU/hr calculation.

So once you know how many BTU/hr you think you'll need, then you can compare a heat pump's cost (based on your electric rate) with what your gas source costs. Or, you can simply assume you're going to buy the largest capacity heat source you can and then see what amount of heating you can expect from it.

To convert BTUs into an equivalent electrical energy form, the conversion is 1 BTU = 0.293071 W-hr. So 1,000 BTU = 0.293 kW-hours

I know this is a very old thread, but it ranks highly on Google so I wanted to add a correction:

The BTU->W-hr conversion above isn't apples-to-apples for a heat pump heater. Heat pumps produce more heat than their input energy, based on their COP (Coefficient of Performance). So if your heat pump has a COP of 5, each kWh it consumes adds 5kWh (17,000 BTUs) of heat to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.