Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will this blow my lines apart?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will this blow my lines apart?

I have a leak in my suction lines. My skimmers are linked together underground somewhere and then run to a 3 way jandy linking the 2 skimmers, main drain and the pump. All the piping is underground but is not under concrete but a wood deck. All the usual suspects have been investigated and dismissed so I am in search of finding the cracked joint or elbow or whatever it is. I am against a leak detect co because where I am it runs $400 for 30 min for 1 leak and no guarantee that will be the only one. Beyond that additional searches run $300 per.

My question is If I close my Jandy and plug off one of my skimmer lines and then fill the other with a hose bladder: BrassCraft Small Drain Bladder-BC00331 - The Home Depot
    attached to the spigot will that blow my lines? I'm assuming that I have 30-50 psi at the spigot. I've seen hose bladders used to clear very difficult drain clogs deep below a sink (water pressure builds until the clog fails and releases). If the piping holds I believe I should see the water begin to emerge after some time revealing the leak(s). Anyone tried this?
    1977 Plaster 25K Gal (2014 replaster)
    1HP Pentair 348023 SuperFlo Energy Efficient Single Speed Pool Pump 230V;
    Hayward 48 sqft DE filter
    1.5" suction/return lines
    2 skimmers and 2 inlets

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Will this blow my lines apart?

No, it won't damage the plumbing. PVC pipes and fittings are made to withstand normal water pressures.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

Re: Will this blow my lines apart?

No, I don't think you will blow anything apart. Schedule 40 PVC in the sizes used for the suction lines is rated at well north of 200 PSI depending on the exact pipe size (each has it's own rating).
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon