Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Almost done...

1. Back To Top    #1

Almost done...

Day 6 of my SLAM and I think I'm pretty much finished. I passed the OCLT last night, CC is <0.5, and the water is ALMOST clear. I can see the bottom no problem but the water just has no sparkle. What should I do to get that sparkle back? I did buy some DE to use in the sand filter if needed, but my pressure gauge isn't working so I'm not sure what the best way to use it would be. Here's my test values:

10 PM last night, FC 14.5
    6:30 AM this morning:
    FC 13.5
    CC <0.5
    TA 90
    CH 80
    CYA ~20
    pH 7.5 (took this yesterday when the FC had dropped to 7)

I added stabilizer this morning to try and get the CYA up to about 30 - I'll retest once I'm home.

Any recommendations on how to finish this up and get my pool sparkling clean?
    Thank you,

Jason
    18x33' x 48" deep above ground with sand filter and Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Almost done...

Well, others may have a suggestion on the sand filter, but I would think that it may not be a bad idea just to hold your SLAM FC level for one more day .... just to be sure your OCLT holds-on. True, it may need to circulate for another day or two just to get that glistening sparkle, but a little more bleach might not hurt either to be safe. Others may have more input. Congrats on your accomplishment!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but clear water is one of the criteria for a successful SLAM so you are not done yet.

But it sounds like you are close ... keep on keepin on!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Open a can of

Pool Owner Patience.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

It's looking even better when I got home from work today. FC was at 9 so I added another 121oz of 8.25% bleach. CYA still is below 30, even though I added 1.5 lbs this morning.

Is it okay to add maybe 1/2 cup of DE to the sand filter to speed up the filtering? My gauge is broken, but I'll be home all evening and can monitor the pressure at the return.
    Thank you,

Jason

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell151 View Post
    It's looking even better when I got home from work today. FC was at 9 so I added another 121oz of 8.25% bleach. CYA still is below 30, even though I added 1.5 lbs this morning.

Is it okay to add maybe 1/2 cup of DE to the sand filter to speed up the filtering? My gauge is broken, but I'll be home all evening and can monitor the pressure at the return.
    Why not? Just backwash or set the valve to recirculate when you go to bed just in case it clogs completely.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Great! Because I am almost out of POP!
    Thank you,

Jason

8. Back To Top    #8

I had a HUGE drop in pressure at the return after just 15 minutes. Should I be worried? Or just keep checking it every 15-20 minutes to make sure I still have decent flow?
    Thank you,

Jason

9. Back To Top    #9

You should be able to get a new pressure gauge for pretty cheap at lowes if you have one nearby. It will probably only last one season but it would be worth it for now so you can monitor your pressure more easily. Then when you have a chance I highly recommend the slightly more expensive liquid filled pressure gauge. They last a lot longer and are just so much nicer. I finally got one this spring and I'd never go back to that cheapy one. (unless I needed one asap and temporarily and couldn't wait for shipping lol)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

I ordered a new one off amazon - but it was a cheap one. What's your recommendation for one that will last more than one season?
    Thank you,

Jason

11. Back To Top    #11

Right here's your gauge. Order any test refills you need too. Maybe a speedstir for father's day.

And clogging up that fast after adding DE is pretty common. Hence my warning to watch it and set to recirculate while you sleep.

12. Back To Top    #12

What Richard linked to! I got the bottom mount one from tftestkits. It's really nice and one thing I especially like about it is that it isn't such a huge scale. It doesn't try to squeeze so many numbers into the gauge so it's easier to read because it's a bigger scale if that makes sense.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer