Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dave

1. Back To Top    #1

Dave

Hey guys, I am from the Chesapeake, VA area. I have an 18ft Above ground Pool with a Sand filter. I have had a pool for about 7 years and have exclusively used the Pool Shops to handle testing and buying my chemicals. I always spend an arm and a leg every year and it seems that my pool never gets to the point I would like. I ran across this forum doing a search for pool parts and started reading the post and have realized that it is very likely that my Pool store, (I use 3 different places to test my water because I have never trusted just 1), has been jerking me around to sell their chemicals. I am ordering my test kit this week and can't wait to get started with the BBB method. Right now my pool is semi-cloudy, I can see the bottom but only if I look straight down.there are a lot of particles floating in the pool. Added Ultra-Brite to try to get the particles to filter better. losing a lot of chlorine daily. I will post pictures this afternoon when I get home.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dave

Welcome aboard....let's get those results once the kit arrives
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Dave!
    welcome to TFP!

you made a great decision by ordering our own test kit and firing the pool store. When your kit comes in, test your water and post up your test results.
    We'll help you get it crystal clear in no time, and you'll be able to keep it that way. And for way cheap too!

While you're waiting on your test kit, read up on how to SLAM and pool.
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And what is hte FC/CYA chart
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And what is PoolMath
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

and after your pool is clear, at what levels to maintain it.
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome Dave. You made the right choice for your pool, your sanity, and your pocketbook.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I am so glad you found us! We are going to be able to save you SO much money! Your pool will look like a jewel when we are through with it!

One other thing you can do while you are waiting for your test kit is find YOUR best source for bleach/chlorine. Some find Walmart's Greater value plain, unscented bleach is their best buy. I use my local ACE Hardware's liquid chlorine is my best buy. Others say Sam's 3 pack of bleach is their best buy. Others use their pool stores chlorine (that is the only thing they buy there now LOL).

You will want to make sure the store has a high turn over of the bleach as age and heat can degrade it over time. Is the store easy for you to get to about once a week? Just something to think about.

So what will you spend all of your extra money on now???? LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You've already been given good advice, so I won't pile on. But I will give you a hearty welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok here are my latest numbers from the pool guys (Leslie's )

FAC = 0
    TAC= 0
    CH= 120
    CYA=30
    TA=60
    pH=7.2
    Copper=0
    Iron=0
    TDS=700
    Phosphates=0

18ft round above ground vinyl. 9500 gallons sand filtration

18ft round, 9500 Gal, Vinyl Liner.1.75 HP pump, Sand Filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rdavecook View Post
    Ok here are my latest numbers from the pool guys (Leslie's )

FAC = 0
    TAC= 0
    CH= 120
    CYA=30
    TA=60
    pH=7.2
    Copper=0
    Iron=0
    TDS=700
    Phosphates=0

18ft round above ground vinyl. 9500 gallons sand filtration

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

Look at that blue water!

Wait until you see what it will look like when you get YOUR test kit!

Just a FYI-your PH will go up with all of that rolling water. That is one of the ways we add PH to our water for cheap.

You need to get some FC in there to keep it clear until your test kits comes in.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Your water looks a little cloudy, so you will want to get some bleach in there asap. Use PoolMath to determine how much you need. You may also want to point the return down so it is not churning up the water. Your pH is currently 7.2 but it will rise if you keep aerating the water. Otherwise things look ok. Once your kit comes in you can do an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to complete the SLAM process .
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I put a pound of clorox pool shock in it, i already paid for it, but bleach after it is gone

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome, Dave!

Try not to hurt yourself when you kick yourself in a couple weeks after your pool is clearer than the day you first filled it and you realize just how darn easy it is.

Order the TF100. I suggest the XL option because that particular reagent is nearly impossible to find in stores although the other ones are relatively common just in case you run out unexpectedly. And no one who has a speedstir regrets buying one.

Then send out the invitations for Fourth of July at your house because you'll want to show off your pool. Just tell everyone you use Sodium Hypochlorite Shock liquid instead of "bleach" so they don't freak out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the advice, i will