Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New DIY Pool Build/First Time Pool Owner Getting Ready to Fill

1. Back To Top    #1

New DIY Pool Build/First Time Pool Owner Getting Ready to Fill

Hello all! I am expecting my plaster crew to show up tomorrow to install my Wet Edge Satin Matrix product and will have acid wash on Thursday and we will begin filling the pool. (My pool build in in another thread.)

I'm about to be a first time pool owner and have built this pool myself. I just got my TF1000 kit in the mail TODAY, but haven't researched where to start. (I've been busy building the pool and working.) I'm pretty technical, so I expect to follow the logic from the ABC's, but I don't even have any chemicals yet - nor have I read up on using my new test equipment.

I'd appreciate any advice/pointers for new pool startup and chemistry.

Thanks and I look forward to much more dialogue!
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New DIY Pool Build/First Time Pool Owner Getting Ready to Fill

get out that brand new kit and test your fill water and post the results here and so we can see where your at..

You will need
    30 CYA to begin (you are in tx, maybe 40 to start)
    muriatic acid to keep the PH down and to take TA down
    bleach

easy peasy
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Go ahead and test your fill water. That will show you the PH and TA right off the bat. If you are on city water test for FC as you never know.

It is nice to see someone that already has the test kit! You will NEVER get pool stored!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yep, using the kit right off the bat and then posting your results of the water you will fill with is the first step. You certainly will not need ALL additives until we see the results.

From those numbers a good dialogue will start. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....I think you intend to but just a reminder.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all! First test is in the bag. My tap water reads:
    1.5 FC
    .5-1.0 CC
    2-2.5 TC
    50 CH
    330 TA
    And my black dot never went away on CYA.

Any thoughts?
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

what jumps out at me is your TA, its recommended to have a TA of 70-90.. with a TA 330 your PH may rise very fast, it will take muriatic acid to bring down and let the ph rise on its own.. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity we will have to see what you PH does
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you test PH?

Your CYA should be 0 in your fill water. That is something you need to buy and add to your pool water. Use pool math to find out how much. You can go ahead and buy it to have on hand to add to your pool when it gets water. Tell us when you are ready to add it and we can tell you the best way to add it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. We completed our fill on 6/12.

Initial readings on 6/13 were:
    PH 8.2
    FC 0
    CC .5
    TC .5
    CH 50
    TA 310
    CYA 0

Over the next 2 days, I have added 3 gallons of muriatic acid, 1 gallon of liquid chlorine and about 25# of Calcium Chloride. My new readings were:

PH 7.2
    FC 0
    CC 0
    TC 0
    CH 225
    TA 180

I am dropping my PH and TA levels to try and get my pebble cleaner. I plan on keeping the PH low for another 24-48 hours before adding chlorine and walking the PH back up to hop in it. Any thoughts? My girls are dying to jump in!