Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater Not Turning Off Properly

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater Not Turning Off Properly

Hi folks,

I've got an older built-in tub on my deck. I started working on getting it set up this last weekend. My remaining hurdle is that the heater isn't turning off when the pump turns off. I can turn the heater off with the temp control on the hot tub or on the heater itself, so I don't believe it's the contactor in the heater--it moves freely, too. I've been paying attention, so I haven't let the heater run and trip the high-limit switch.

Is this likely to be the controller? I've been tossing parts at the tub. Conveniently, I've got an indoor tub that has the same exact equipment. I can swap out parts from the controller, which I suppose will be my next step. So far I've had to replace the heater's circuit breaker and swap out the timers. If this wasn't a very busy time in life, I think I'd actually enjoy the trouble-shooting and repairs.

PS, I've been very thankful for the advice I've received here, both directly and indirectly. Thank you to all of the contributors who make this site such a great resource!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater Not Turning Off Properly

There should be some kind of pressure switch so the gas cuts off the instant the pressure drops below some set point.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

There is a pressure switch, and I bet I have it set way too low. I'll find the heater manual and see what their recommendation is. Thanks! I'll report back tomorrow night.

4. Back To Top    #4

It was the setting on the pressure switch. Thank you for the help!