How much chlorine do you add each day?

Lweber40

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2014
Friendswood, TX
I have an 11,000 pool and spa and am trying to maintain a FC level of 7 but that is requiring about 90 oz of 8% bleach each day. Does this sound right for my small plaster pool?

My current numbers are:

FC 7
CC. 0
PH. 7.6
TA 90
CH 290
CYA 60
Temp 90

Thank you.
Lynn

Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath says 90 oz 8% in a pool your size is 5.4 FC. That's a lot. Does that match what you've been seeing? You test and get only 2 FC?

Your pool could be bigger than you think, your bleach got old and weak (or it's the newer reduced strength Walmart bleach), or something's growing in there.

An overnight loss test will confirm or deny an algae bloom.

My cya is 70, and I add about 20 to 30 ounces per day right now. The more intense the sun, the more I need to add. I have never had to add more that 50 ounces in a day and that was when I skipped a day.

A ballpark average of FC loss per day in a properly maintained, manually-chlorinated pool is between 33 and 50% during the summer. Depends primarily on amount of sun hitting the pool, CYA level, and bather load. However, if your FC consumption has spiked up for no apparent reason, I would definitely run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. It is a simple test that requires only a few minutes of time and no extra chemicals.

Lynn, the past few days have been brutal here in Texas haven't they? I've been slowly taking my CYA up this season as well to help save on chlorine loss as the sun gets more intense. For my pool (full sun all day) at just under 18K gallons, ideally I might go through about half a gallon a day to keep it happy. :) But that's me. Enjoy your summer!

Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath says 90 oz 8% in a pool your size is 5.4 FC. That's a lot. Does that match what you've been seeing? You test and get only 2 FC?

Your pool could be bigger than you think, your bleach got old and weak (or it's the newer reduced strength Walmart bleach), or something's growing in there.

An overnight loss test will confirm or deny an algae bloom.
We do seem to be losing about that in a day. I'm not letting the FC fall below 7 so I keep adding 80 or 90 each day to get it up to 11 or 12 knowing that it's going to drop 5 or 6 in the next 24 hours. It just seems like a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My cya is 70, and I add about 20 to 30 ounces per day right now. The more intense the sun, the more I need to add. I have never had to add more that 50 ounces in a day and that was when I skipped a day.
I live south of Houston and the sun has been HOT lately. I've also had allot of grandkids in the pool lately.

I passed the overnight tests a couple weeks ago and have been careful since to maintain the FC level but I'll do another this weekend to confirm.

Lynn, the past few days have been brutal here in Texas haven't they? I've been slowly taking my CYA up this season as well to help save on chlorine loss as the sun gets more intense. For my pool (full sun all day) at just under 18K gallons, ideally I might go through about half a gallon a day to keep it happy. :) But that's me. Enjoy your summer!
Yes, I'm south of Houston, in Friendswood, and my small pool gets full sun all day and it had been brutal. And since our pool is new, the grandkids and I have been enjoying it. Hubby is just wondering about all the bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.