Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much chlorine do you add each day?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How much chlorine do you add each day?

I have an 11,000 pool and spa and am trying to maintain a FC level of 7 but that is requiring about 90 oz of 8% bleach each day. Does this sound right for my small plaster pool?

My current numbers are:

FC 7
    CC. 0
    PH. 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 290
    CYA 60
    Temp 90

Thank you.
    Lynn
    New 11000 gallon chlorine IG, Tanning ledge with flolite bubblers, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, LED lights, 18" raised spa, wet edge northshore caribbean pebble finish, Jandy 2 hp VS pump, Jandy 1.5 hp water feature pump, Jandy cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, 400k btu heater, travertine paver deck, zodiac mx8 cleaner, iAqualink and spa side pda

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much chlorine do you add each day?

Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath says 90 oz 8% in a pool your size is 5.4 FC. That's a lot. Does that match what you've been seeing? You test and get only 2 FC?

Your pool could be bigger than you think, your bleach got old and weak (or it's the newer reduced strength Walmart bleach), or something's growing in there.

An overnight loss test will confirm or deny an algae bloom.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Or your CYA could be lower than you think and the FC is being burned off by the sun.

I'm with Richard on running an OCLT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

My cya is 70, and I add about 20 to 30 ounces per day right now. The more intense the sun, the more I need to add. I have never had to add more that 50 ounces in a day and that was when I skipped a day.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

A ballpark average of FC loss per day in a properly maintained, manually-chlorinated pool is between 33 and 50% during the summer. Depends primarily on amount of sun hitting the pool, CYA level, and bather load. However, if your FC consumption has spiked up for no apparent reason, I would definitely run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. It is a simple test that requires only a few minutes of time and no extra chemicals.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Lynn, the past few days have been brutal here in Texas haven't they? I've been slowly taking my CYA up this season as well to help save on chlorine loss as the sun gets more intense. For my pool (full sun all day) at just under 18K gallons, ideally I might go through about half a gallon a day to keep it happy. But that's me. Enjoy your summer!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

My CYA is 60 and I average about 60oz of 12.5% a day. In my pool that is about 2.5 FC.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath says 90 oz 8% in a pool your size is 5.4 FC. That's a lot. Does that match what you've been seeing? You test and get only 2 FC?

Your pool could be bigger than you think, your bleach got old and weak (or it's the newer reduced strength Walmart bleach), or something's growing in there.

An overnight loss test will confirm or deny an algae bloom.
    We do seem to be losing about that in a day. I'm not letting the FC fall below 7 so I keep adding 80 or 90 each day to get it up to 11 or 12 knowing that it's going to drop 5 or 6 in the next 24 hours. It just seems like a lot.

New 11000 gallon chlorine IG, Tanning ledge with flolite bubblers, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, LED lights, 18" raised spa, wet edge northshore caribbean pebble finish, Jandy 2 hp VS pump, Jandy 1.5 hp water feature pump, Jandy cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, 400k btu heater, travertine paver deck, zodiac mx8 cleaner, iAqualink and spa side pda

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    My cya is 70, and I add about 20 to 30 ounces per day right now. The more intense the sun, the more I need to add. I have never had to add more that 50 ounces in a day and that was when I skipped a day.
    I live south of Houston and the sun has been HOT lately. I've also had allot of grandkids in the pool lately.

I passed the overnight tests a couple weeks ago and have been careful since to maintain the FC level but I'll do another this weekend to confirm.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Lynn, the past few days have been brutal here in Texas haven't they? I've been slowly taking my CYA up this season as well to help save on chlorine loss as the sun gets more intense. For my pool (full sun all day) at just under 18K gallons, ideally I might go through about half a gallon a day to keep it happy. But that's me. Enjoy your summer!
    Yes, I'm south of Houston, in Friendswood, and my small pool gets full sun all day and it had been brutal. And since our pool is new, the grandkids and I have been enjoying it. Hubby is just wondering about all the bleach.

11. Back To Top    #11

my cya is 80. I know my pool pretty well now. It needs 1 gallon of bleach every three days to maintain.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    my cya is 80. I know my pool pretty well now. It needs 1 gallon of bleach every three days to maintain.
    Do you very much sun?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Lweber40 View Post
    Do you very much sun?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Meant... Do you get very much sun?

14. Back To Top    #14

I'd be interested to know what if any difference two identical pools in identical location would have if everything were the same except the pebble/liner color. Dark vs. light.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir