Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turning off AquaRite Generator at night

1. Back To Top    #1

Turning off AquaRite Generator at night

Hi all

I turn my pump off at night, and am wondering if I was to switch the salt generator off as well, whether that would cause any damage? Cheers
    Tom

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turning off AquaRite Generator at night

Nope, no issues at all, most people have their pump off more than on and the SWG is usually wired to turn off with the pump. The flow sensor in the SWG will turn off the generator anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome - thanks pooldv

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

4. Back To Top    #4

See the reply I received from Hayward support below: I have a variable speed pump with built-in timer. My concern was that I couldn't integrate it with the pump timer.

"The Aqua Rite will need to be on it's own timer; it will need to reflect the pump time, because if the Aqua Rite stays hot all the time it will be enabled to still take calculation and end up reading low for salt. "

So, basically, the SWG will read low salt if left on 24/7 (without water flow).
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

For safety purposes, your SWG should be wired so that it is never on when the pump is off. If an external timer or control turns power to the pump on and off, the SWG should also be wired to that control. If the pump uses its own on-board timer for switching, a seperate timer should control the SWG and be set to never energize the SWG when the pump is off.

The flow switch on the SWG is a safety device and should not be used as the primary switching for power to the SWG.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry if this sounds ignorant: I just manually turn on my 2-speed pump with the toggle switch at the back of the pump. I have no timers, etc. I just purchased the Aquarite. Can I just manually turn on and off the Aquarite using the control panel switch when I do the pump? Or can it not have constant power applied at the terminals even? Thanks
    18x36 Lagoon vinyl IG DIY sport bottom 3.5-5-3.5 18K gal. Hayward Tri-Star 1 1/2 HP 2 Speed, Hayward 27" 350lb. sand filter, Hayward Aquarite w/ T-15, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 step jets, 4 deck jets, 1 waterfall, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, you can manually turn them on. SWGs have flow sensors that shut them off, but if the flow sensor fails to shut it off there could be issues, so it is safest to shut it off.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach