Please take a look and tell me what you think. Help opening my pool...

Jun 9, 2015
Ardmore, OK.
pool 06092015.jpg
I have been lurking and learning in the TFP forum for about 3 years now, and using the BBB method for two years with great results! Thank you.
Unfortunately this year has been different. My cover had a rip in it so my pool got swampy. I netted the pool out and vacuumed all that I could and got started SLAMMING. I slammed for about 8 days straight with only minor improvements each day. The day before yesterday I could finally see a big difference. My water was almost clear, I could see the bottom, and boy was I happy.
Yesterday I woke up to a green pool again. The only thing different that I did was back wash my sand filter as the pressure was getting high. All day yesterday, all night, and all day today I shocked my pool at mustard algae level to no avail.
I will tell you what I have done since, and hopefully you can follow along with any help, as I have now spent a small fortune on liquid bleach and still have a green pool.

10,400 Gallon above ground pool
Sand filter with 1 year old sand
I did a deep sand cleaning before starting this year.
Also, just today I added 1.5 cups of DE to my sand filter, that raised my pressure from 15.5 psi to 16.5 psi. I have never used DE but am going to give it a shot.
6/9/2015 at 7:45 PM
FC 2.0
CC <0.5
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 70
CYA <30

As the CYA is low I added enough powdered CYA to raise it up 15ppm.
I did the testing and it seems that the CYA is just barely under 30 so I have been shocking at 12ppm chlorine.
I added 162oz. of 8.25% liquid chlorine to raise it to 12.

Anyone have suggestions?

hey Jesse, the reason your pool went green again is your fc droped below 12 ( you said 2), any time it drops below 12 they will start growing again... your almost there :) just keep that fc up, take it to mustard shock level at night or when you are not there to check..

Also, you are very dedicated waking up at 330 in the morning :bowdown:

Good morning. When did you add the CYA? It takes a good week to show up on tests.
Maybe you ave a bit more CYA than you think...in which case, you might not be at "kill zone" most of the time at 12.

Why not bring it up to mustard shock level for 30 ppm CYA of 19 and ride it there for a day, not letting it drop below 16 (which is target Slam for 40 ppm cya...just in case you have more than you think) and see if the color starts to change.

As long as you stay a bit under mustard shock level, you won't harm the liner.

Also remember that every minute you're BELOW your target, you're letting algae outpace you. Stay on top of it as much as you can and report back if that made a difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go, Jesse, Go! Go, Jesse, Go! (Where is the cheerleader-with-pompoms smilie when you need it?)

smileys-cheerleading-151859.gif

Well....the pool is looking decent. The only problem I have now is I ran out of reagent R-0871 for my FAS-DPD test. My plan was to hit the pool store first thing this morning to restock. Unfortunately none of my local stores have it in stock. I ordered it and it will be here tomorrow morning.
My plan is to add the same amount of liquid chlorine that I did yesterday at the same times.
I realize this could over chlorinate, but I think I would rather do that than take the chance of it being under chlorinated and turn back swampy.
Does anyone see a problem with this plan?

Well....the pool is looking decent. The only problem I have now is I ran out of reagent R-0871 for my FAS-DPD test. My plan was to hit the pool store first thing this morning to restock. Unfortunately none of my local stores have it in stock. I ordered it and it will be here tomorrow morning.
My plan is to add the same amount of liquid chlorine that I did yesterday at the same times.
I realize this could over chlorinate, but I think I would rather do that than take the chance of it being under chlorinated and turn back swampy.
Does anyone see a problem with this plan?

that's what I would do. you should have a pretty good idea of the FC loss and how much you have been adding. it should increase the demand since its getting better each day. keep at it, and then confirm when you get more reagent.

Back in business! After vacuuming and backwashing today here is where I was at..
6/12/15 5:30 PM
FC 10
I added 146 oz liquid chlorine
I also added 1/2 C. DE to the sand filter - I had 1 1/2 C. in the last few days but I didn't like how much it reduced my return.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.