Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a salt test?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a salt test?

We have an aqualogic P4 that shows us the salt level (granted it might take a couple of hours for the salt level to update) should we still get a salt tester kit?
    38'x17.5' 19k IG pebble, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, DE(now Fiber) Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward Northstar 2HP single speed pump, Pump(Advantage CK256C-075-P) for Hayward Cleaner (Hayward Viio Turbo model 5500), Built 2008, City water fill, TF100 Kit + Salt test kit w/speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a salt test?

Welcome to TFP!!!

I split your post to its own thread, not polite to hijack

I would get a salt test because the SWG can start to give false readings if things go south.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for splitting it off.
    38'x17.5' 19k IG pebble, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, DE(now Fiber) Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward Northstar 2HP single speed pump, Pump(Advantage CK256C-075-P) for Hayward Cleaner (Hayward Viio Turbo model 5500), Built 2008, City water fill, TF100 Kit + Salt test kit w/speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

I would recommend the k-1766. Especially with the Aquarite, the salt level as tested vs the box reading can tell you when your cell begins to fail.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would get an electronic salt tester. I just did so after a recommendation from a pool guy (that did our pool inspection). They run $100 or so from Amazon. I got the ExTech ExStik II. Tests salt, TDS, and temp.

I found my SWG was off by several hundred ppm after getting the tester. You can also buy a calibration solution for $10-15 (for a lifetime supply) and calibrate your tester every 6 months.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Ausmatt View Post
    I would get an electronic salt tester. I just did so after a recommendation from a pool guy (that did our pool inspection). They run $100 or so from Amazon. I got the ExTech ExStik II. Tests salt, TDS, and temp.

I found my SWG was off by several hundred ppm after getting the tester. You can also buy a calibration solution for $10-15 (for a lifetime supply) and calibrate your tester every 6 months.
    Waste of money if you ask me... It was off by a few hundred compared to the Taylor test??? Or compared to test strips? I doubt it was Taylor.

Regardless, a few hundred ppm is not enough to worry about. Salt does not need to be exact.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

7. Back To Top    #7

Compared to the SWG sensor. Regarding a Taylor test or an electronic tester, I believe the payback period is about 1 year if you test salt and TDS 1-2x/week. (~20 tests per bottle). So for me, it's a good investment and a heck of a lot quicker than a chemical test.

But either one is sufficient. My main point was to not rely on the SWG sensor.

8. Back To Top    #8

It's a personal choice if you ask me. If you feel a good TDS meter is worth it over testing with Silver Nitrate, then by all means get one. I can't speak to that Meter, but it's up to an individual. All that said, once a week testing for Salt is overkill but that too is a personal choice with no wrong answer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

So then, how quickly should I be losing salt? Very often we will get salt up to 3200, and within a couple of days back down to 2700. According to the SWG readings.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dirk.melvin View Post
    So then, how quickly should I be losing salt? Very often we will get salt up to 3200, and within a couple of days back down to 2700. According to the SWG readings.
    There's either a problem with the salt cell sensor or you have an enormous water leak, too much splash out or other water loss. If the 500ppm difference were real, that would be like 65lbs of salt in my 16,000 gal pool.

Most of the SWG sensors are NOT temperature compensated, and there can be several hundred ppm difference between cold water and warm water.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

The only thing that should be removing salt from your pool is splashout, overflows, and washing to waste. It should never come down without actually removing water and replacing it with fresh water.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

12. Back To Top    #12

If the SWG is working then all is well. If it reads low salt then you need to test. You said that it may read 2700 or 3200. That may be when it reverses polarity. I would use cheap test strips to see what you have and maybe take it to the pool store also. If it comes out 3200 or there about then you have a cell that needs cleaning or is failing.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100