Bio Active Results

Jun 9, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
New member but have been reading with great interest the various member trials of the CYA reducer. In late April, I tested my pool water and discovered my CYA was once again on the high side with a reading of 100 ppm. I've been using Trichlor pucks and performed a complete drain and acid wash last summer due to a persistent black algae problem and high CH and CYA levels. One mistake was not switching off the Trichlor and going with bleach only to maintain my FC levels.

Lesson learned, I'm now off the pucks and using bleach only but needed to get my CYA level down help manage ongoing chlorine cost so I cross my fingers and invested in a bag of Bio Active.

After reading some mixed results members, I decided to start with a really low FC level and let if drift to 0 during my test with pump running 8 hrs a day.

Starting measurements:

Day 1 (6/2/15)
Added 1 bag of Bio Active at 10 am
FC = 1.0
CH = 240
CYA = 110
TA = 80
PH = 7.6
Water temp = 83.4 (clear skies)
water clear, light visible algae in pool

Day 2 (6/3/15)
FC = 0.0
CH = 240
CYA = (did not test)
TA = 80
PH = 7.6
Water temp = 84.0 (clear skies)
Water beginning to turn cloudy, increased algae in pool

Day 3 (6/4/15)
FC = 0.0
CH = 240
CYA = (did not test)
TA = 85
PH = 7.7 (reduced back to 7.5 with acid)
Water temp = 84.8 (clear skies)
Water turning murky, increased algae in pool

Day 4 (6/5/15)
FC = 0.0
CH = 240
CYA = 35 (tested at 7 pm)
TA = 85
PH = 7.5
Water temp = 85.6 (clear skies)
Water very murky, increased algae in pool

SLAMED pool to stop Bio Active.

6/9/15 update:
Been keeping FC level around 4 ppm with bleach. With additional tests, CYA level has been holding steady around 35/40 ppm. Water is crystal clear, no signs of algae after the SLAM.

I experienced great results, not sure if it was due to CYA levels not being off the charts yet or running my chlorine levels at 0 for several days. Regardless, I'm thrilled to have my CYA back down and, if needed, would definitely use this product again.

Awesome -- so your own k2006 tests verify the drop, and same was corroborated by pool store.

I didn't entirely imagine that someone would go to the trouble of bringing this product to market if it didn't work somewhere sometime, and early reports have been underwhelming at best.

But for people who can't drain and are willing to go low/no chlorine and follow with a slam your results are promising -- now if a few more could corroborate it would be wonderful ;)

Awesome -- so your own k2006 tests verify the drop, and same was corroborated by pool store.

I didn't entirely imagine that someone would go to the trouble of bringing this product to market if it didn't work somewhere sometime, and early reports have been underwhelming at best.

But for people who can't drain and are willing to go low/no chlorine and follow with a slam your results are promising -- now if a few more could corroborate it would be wonderful ;)
Therein lies the problem. We have had multiple people try and fail with the product. We have had a couple with marginal results, and now this one with good results.

What we need to figure out is why it works sometimes and not others.

Wit only one positive report I'm still reticent to recommend it, but am hopeful we can figure something out.

Hi,
we appreciate your review of the Bioactive. Its just so strange though, how most others report only little or moderate reduction in CYA.
hummm.....

I have no idea why my results were positive versus the other less than positive results. I ordered my bag online back in April and waited to see what others experienced and what their methods were. I considered returning the product to get my $60 back but thought what the heck, I have it in hand, a partial drain and refill would've run me about $125 for water and pump rental.

The only differences I noted over the others was my starting water temp was higher and my CYA level wasn't sky high, plus my FC level started at 1 and quickly went to 0 for the remainder of the period.

Curious to see if others experience positive results if they decide to run the test at 0 FC.

my cya was right at 100 (undiluted test) and it did go down to 80 in 4 days then no further.

but my water was close to the minimum temp most of time (65 degrees)

also I never let my chlorine go below 2ppm. I ended up with Mustard Algae on my steps so in hindsight I should have just done what you did with no fc.

It's very possible the enzymes just work a heckuva lot better in warmer water with zero chlorine to slow them down.

Maybe they should re-write the instructions that to get optimal results 75 degree or warmer water with zero chlorine
yields maximum results. Honesty is better than getting low reviews.

Thanks for trying and and I'm glad you got positive results. I had suggested that people try using it with a lower (close to zero) FC level so that does seem to be part of it. Apparently temperature is another factor and that makes sense. A pool service person getting good results with it on another forum noted the pH should be kept lower, but in your case the pH was normal. It still seems to be a very finicky product, but if we can describe the conditions that make it most likely to work, at least people could be warned of the risks of not working but maximize their chances for a good result.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wish I had read this before I just drained half my pool to cut down 120 CYA. My pool temp is around 87 already, 0 FC, and figured I'd drain to fix the CYA before I started loading up 10+fc of bleach.

I am in SOCAL used the product with great success. It to twice as much as recommended. I wanted to try it because of the drought we in.
Before
Water temp: 78
FC 1.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 150

After four weeks with two doses every two weeks

Temp 73
FC 1.0
CC 1.5
PH 7.4
CYA 75

I had the CYA results verified at two different pool stores that perform FAS/DPD test. I am happy seeing how we have to reduce our H20 use by 20%.

This is true so if the pool store is using FAS/DPD over test strips and OTO then that tells me that they care about the condition of the water that the consumer is having tested. They are more likely to perform the other test needed correctly.

I've been wondering if there is anything source-water related that we aren't testing (such as various metals) that might have an effect. BrianTX's weather sure sounds nice.

Certainly that would be good to know. Also, I have wondered if this product is somehow becoming inactivated once it leaves the manufacturing facility. It is a biological product and therefore it is much more susceptible to environmental factors. If the pool store is storing this product in an uncontrolled storage room or the truck delivering the product sits out in the sun too long, then it is at least plausible that the bacteria can get sterilized from excessive heat.

It would be nice, if like baker's yeast, you could "proof" the product before use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.