Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing my sand mid-season (post BQ conversion)

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing my sand mid-season (post BQ conversion)

I changed my sand once before, but it was at the end of the season. When I close my pool, I disconnect the tank from the plumbing, so removing the the top shell from the base is easy enough at that time. Being mid-season, the tank is already connected to the plumbing. My question is do I have to disconnect the tank this time to change my sand?

Here is my set up. Does anyone have any opinions?

Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing my sand mid-season (post BQ conversion)

It's too dark to see.

If the pipes enter from the side, no. If they enter at the top, yes.

A shop vac is the fastest way to empty it. When refilling, add some water to cushion the impact when you pour the sand in over the laterals and rubberband a baggie over the standpipe so no sand accidentally fins it's way down into the clean side of things or you'll get to vacuum it out of the pool later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard.

Yes the pipes enter from the side. That is my multiport valve to the left of the tank.

On top is a black cap (That doesn't seem to want to budge at all) and the pressure release valve.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Husky25 View Post
    Thanks Richard.

Yes the pipes enter from the side. That is my multiport valve to the left of the tank.

On top is a black cap (That doesn't seem to want to budge at all) and the pressure release valve.
    That black cap is what you need to open.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Silly questions, but I have to ask...

Do you have the wrench for the cap?

Did you release the pressure on the system?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That black cap is what you need to open.
    Tried and tried again. It won't budge.

Last time I changed the sand (removed in September 2013, Added in May 2014), I took the top off the egg via the 27 bolts surrounding the middle.

Is there a special wrench to remove the black cap?
    Chris

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Silly questions, but I have to ask...

Do you have the wrench for the cap?

Did you release the pressure on the system?
    Not silly questions.the answers are:

1) No. I was unaware that there is a special wrench for the cap. Can you post a link or picture? My Father and I tried a strap wrench before we undid the 27 bolts around the belt.

2) Yes I release the pressure on the system.
    Chris