Intex in Central Texas

Jun 4, 2015
Round Rock, TX
First post: Kids are gone but we are considering an in ground and hot tub for entertaining, visitors, kids and eventual grand-kiddos. Decided to start with a AGP to see if we will really use it. It gets hot hot hot here in the summer and drifting with a drink is enticing.

Here is a picture of the side of the yard without tree cover.

DSCN3455_zps693xhhic.jpg

Measured out for the 20' round ultraframe several times and settled on a spot that balanced level, room to get the truck past it if I need to and room enough for a hot tub if we add one. Marked it and scalped it with the mower. I've got about 1" up in one spot and 2" down in another. Only about a quarter of the area needs messed with.

PoolSite-Scalped_zpsywaeq2hh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Drove the truck into the yard and unloaded the pool. Plenty of clearance to get the truck in and out. That is when I noticed they loaded me a 24' instead of a 20'. Checked online and it went on sale Sunday and was the same as I paid for the 20'. The scalp is at 24' diameter so I just need to go out another foot.

Roundup applied and have inquired about a sand delivery. I'm looking at 4.5 yards of sand!

I have used both Austin Landscape Supply in Georgetown and Whittlesey Landscape Supplies in Round Rock. Both have quick delivery times and reasonable rates. I would have them dump either on your driveway or street. If you don't feel like moving all the sand, Jon's Tool rentals has a Vermeer S650 mini track. The tracks should be genital enough on your grass.

Jons Tool rentals also has a hydraulic dump trailer. If you have enough room and skilled enough backing up trailers you could rent that trailer get the sand. Then back the trailer up into your yard and (fingers crossed) dump the entire load in the middle of the area.

Whittlesey delivered this morning and I was at Jon's to get a tiller and transit today. You must be nearby, JohnnyB. I have a rider with a dump cart to haul the sand from the drive.

I shot the site and had just a 3" difference low to high. The nut grass though is trying to live through a gallon and a half of Round Up so I am tilling it up first, then leveling. It is so dry, the ground is like concrete. Set up a sprinler to soak it good today and will finish tilling tomorrow, tamping and then start hauling sand. Should be doing the build next weekend.

The weather has not cooperated here in Texas as many others have shared on their builds. I was able to finally get the site within an inch of level. I set blocks at the spacing for the legs of the frame then filled with sand to level the whole thing out.

20150630_194511_zpsljlqdkss.jpg

20150702_134056_zpsdp83kmpl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Staked the tarp down then put the upper rail together.
20150702_165056_zps3ypltdzm.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Assembled the legs and it started raining.
20150702_192500_zps717r2sfx.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

In the previous pic, you can see that the back left legs are not on the blocks, all the others are. I am hoping that the next steps of putting in an inch of water and pulling the wrinkles out of the bottom will fix this. I'm sure the pool is not round since the blocks are all exactly 12' from the center to the center of the block and each is spaced the 37" between the legs.

I am worried that my OCD will prevent me from moving forward until it is perfect. Arrgggg!

Now to medicate, that was a lot of sand to move today.

I'm enjoying your pool build! It always impresses me how people can do all this huge work and get it so exact. Amazing to me!

That is going to be a great pool! I hope ya'll find you really enjoy it. I'm betting you will - nice quiet, relaxing time for the two of you and then fun times with friends, kids, and those eventual grand-kiddos!!!! Any in the oven, yet?

Keep the updates rolling in!

Take care! Suz.

Suzanne, don't be too impressed. The sand base compressed unevenly, even under the blocks. I should have used paver sand which packs better. Cost is about the same but would have taken several runs to Lowes. I'll be able to adjust if I have to lower my CYA. ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That's ok! It will all work out! I'm still impressed - you're doing it, aren't you?!! I wouldn't even attempt that.

And those grandkids will be along before you know. It's the nature of things! Lol!!!!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh your water looks fabulous!!! It makes me want to jump in! It looks cold.... or is that wishful thinking?!

You and all your family are going to enjoy the heck out of this pool!! Let us know how everyone loves it.
Suz.

Suz, I have not taken a pic of a dime yet, but the water is very clear and sparkly! It is around 88 in the morning, rising to 96 during the day. We are now at 100 degree days and cracks have started to show in the ground. I expect cactus any day now to sprout!

We are seeing our 29 year old weekly now it seems. Tomorrow he is having a cookout with some friends from work, having worked the weekend this week.

While my family made fun of my dissatisfaction of the level on the sides, my OCD was just a precursor to the eventuality. The pool started walking toward the low side as I thought it would. When it was apparent the legs were moving to the sides of the blocks, all of a sudden they were all leveling experts! LOL I drained about 40% of the water and made a derrick to jack up a leg and set the block in the correct location and height. Now I'm down to just over 2" in difference but ran out of energy today to level the last 5 legs. The derrick and jacks are substantial enough to lower those and I will worry less about the liner strain while lowering instead of raising.

DSCN3598_zpseti4okhq.jpg

I also think I'll put drip irrigation around the perimeter to keep the soil from drying and swelling so much.

As a side benefit, my CYA is at 60 now!

Oh wow! I just thought I was impressed earlier in your build. Now I'm in awe!

You're doing a great job! You're instincts were right on. So nice everyone decided to jump on board, huh?! Ha ha.. Maybe next time they will listen to you.

Let us know how the rest of the legs go.
Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.