Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex in Central Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex in Central Texas

First post: Kids are gone but we are considering an in ground and hot tub for entertaining, visitors, kids and eventual grand-kiddos. Decided to start with a AGP to see if we will really use it. It gets hot hot hot here in the summer and drifting with a drink is enticing.

Here is a picture of the side of the yard without tree cover.

Intex Ultraframe, 24' x 52", 1.5hp Matrix 2 speed, 21" Hayward sand filter + Intex Ozone Saltwater System, through-wall skimmer, 1.5" PVC return fountain. Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex in Central Texas

Measured out for the 20' round ultraframe several times and settled on a spot that balanced level, room to get the truck past it if I need to and room enough for a hot tub if we add one. Marked it and scalped it with the mower. I've got about 1" up in one spot and 2" down in another. Only about a quarter of the area needs messed with.

- - - Updated - - -

Drove the truck into the yard and unloaded the pool. Plenty of clearance to get the truck in and out. That is when I noticed they loaded me a 24' instead of a 20'. Checked online and it went on sale Sunday and was the same as I paid for the 20'. The scalp is at 24' diameter so I just need to go out another foot.

Roundup applied and have inquired about a sand delivery. I'm looking at 4.5 yards of sand!
    Intex Ultraframe, 24' x 52", 1.5hp Matrix 2 speed, 21" Hayward sand filter + Intex Ozone Saltwater System, through-wall skimmer, 1.5" PVC return fountain. Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool! That is a nice looking circle you got there. And your yard is almost flat, what a deal!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I have used both Austin Landscape Supply in Georgetown and Whittlesey Landscape Supplies in Round Rock. Both have quick delivery times and reasonable rates. I would have them dump either on your driveway or street. If you don't feel like moving all the sand, Jon's Tool rentals has a Vermeer S650 mini track. The tracks should be genital enough on your grass.

Jons Tool rentals also has a hydraulic dump trailer. If you have enough room and skilled enough backing up trailers you could rent that trailer get the sand. Then back the trailer up into your yard and (fingers crossed) dump the entire load in the middle of the area.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Whittlesey delivered this morning and I was at Jon's to get a tiller and transit today. You must be nearby, JohnnyB. I have a rider with a dump cart to haul the sand from the drive.

I shot the site and had just a 3" difference low to high. The nut grass though is trying to live through a gallon and a half of Round Up so I am tilling it up first, then leveling. It is so dry, the ground is like concrete. Set up a sprinler to soak it good today and will finish tilling tomorrow, tamping and then start hauling sand. Should be doing the build next weekend.

6. Back To Top    #6

The weather has not cooperated here in Texas as many others have shared on their builds. I was able to finally get the site within an inch of level. I set blocks at the spacing for the legs of the frame then filled with sand to level the whole thing out.

- - - Updated - - -

Staked the tarp down then put the upper rail together.

- - - Updated - - -

Assembled the legs and it started raining.

- - - Updated - - -

In the previous pic, you can see that the back left legs are not on the blocks, all the others are. I am hoping that the next steps of putting in an inch of water and pulling the wrinkles out of the bottom will fix this. I'm sure the pool is not round since the blocks are all exactly 12' from the center to the center of the block and each is spaced the 37" between the legs.

I am worried that my OCD will prevent me from moving forward until it is perfect. Arrgggg!

Now to medicate, that was a lot of sand to move today.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I'm enjoying your pool build! It always impresses me how people can do all this huge work and get it so exact. Amazing to me!

That is going to be a great pool! I hope ya'll find you really enjoy it. I'm betting you will - nice quiet, relaxing time for the two of you and then fun times with friends, kids, and those eventual grand-kiddos!!!! Any in the oven, yet?

Keep the updates rolling in!

Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Suzanne, don't be too impressed. The sand base compressed unevenly, even under the blocks. I should have used paver sand which packs better. Cost is about the same but would have taken several runs to Lowes. I'll be able to adjust if I have to lower my CYA. 😂

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh, and no grandkids yet!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

That's ok! It will all work out! I'm still impressed - you're doing it, aren't you?!! I wouldn't even attempt that.

And those grandkids will be along before you know. It's the nature of things! Lol!!!!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Added a through wall skimmer and new return yesterday. Pieced together a rough fountain as a test as well. I have a slow drip from the skimmer so I will likely hard plumb once I get the equipment platform built.

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow! That looks great!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Oh your water looks fabulous!!! It makes me want to jump in! It looks cold.... or is that wishful thinking?!

You and all your family are going to enjoy the heck out of this pool!! Let us know how everyone loves it.
    Suz.

14. Back To Top    #14

Suz, I have not taken a pic of a dime yet, but the water is very clear and sparkly! It is around 88 in the morning, rising to 96 during the day. We are now at 100 degree days and cracks have started to show in the ground. I expect cactus any day now to sprout!

We are seeing our 29 year old weekly now it seems. Tomorrow he is having a cookout with some friends from work, having worked the weekend this week.

15. Back To Top    #15

While my family made fun of my dissatisfaction of the level on the sides, my OCD was just a precursor to the eventuality. The pool started walking toward the low side as I thought it would. When it was apparent the legs were moving to the sides of the blocks, all of a sudden they were all leveling experts! LOL I drained about 40% of the water and made a derrick to jack up a leg and set the block in the correct location and height. Now I'm down to just over 2" in difference but ran out of energy today to level the last 5 legs. The derrick and jacks are substantial enough to lower those and I will worry less about the liner strain while lowering instead of raising.

I also think I'll put drip irrigation around the perimeter to keep the soil from drying and swelling so much.

As a side benefit, my CYA is at 60 now!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

That's awesome work!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Yeah, nice!
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Oh wow! I just thought I was impressed earlier in your build. Now I'm in awe!

You're doing a great job! You're instincts were right on. So nice everyone decided to jump on board, huh?! Ha ha.. Maybe next time they will listen to you.

Let us know how the rest of the legs go.
    Suz.

19. Back To Top    #19

The few inches deeper is nice. I was unable to sleep and took a swim at 5am this morning.