Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The twelve most common myths in Pool-Water Chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

The twelve most common myths in Pool-Water Chemistry

Some very good read. Pretty much all of this been discussed here and I read here in various topics, but still some good info, all in one place.

The twelve most common myths in Pool-Water Chemistry | PPOA

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The twelve most common myths in Pool-Water Chemistry

I just started reading it and already do not agree with some of the statements in #2.

- - - Updated - - -

And 5 has some false statements.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Really? I thought 2 was spot on from what I read on here. Can you elaborate?

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4

9 is not quite right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azmp1 View Post
    Really? I thought 2 was spot on from what I read on here. Can you elaborate?
    It is this part that I do not agree with:
    On the other hand, superchlorination, calculated to reach chemical breakpoint to eliminate existing chloramine, is necessary when it’s necessary; that is, it’s needed when these ammonia compounds have been allowed to develop.
    specifically the idea of a "chemical breakpoint" ... it could just be the way that they worded it. But that buzz word has been misused many times.

- - - Updated - - -

For 5:
    Chlorine does not work "much better" at lower pH levels ... if there is any CYA in the water, like we recommend.

For 9:
    5-25ppm CYA is too low for an outdoor pool and they say not to use it for indoor pools which we disagree with.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah I see. For 2, I think what he means by it is the chlorine level needed to be achieved to start effectively working, like in the SLAM process. 5-25 CYA jumped at me as well, but as far as indoor pools, why do you need at in the indoor pool? I though it was exclusively sunlight related as well?

6. Back To Top    #6

Because CYA also significantly buffers the chlorine as well (in other words makes it less harsh).

Check out this table which shows the "harshness":
    http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/.../pool/HOCl.htm
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA also acts as a buffer for chlorine. Without CYA, you'd want to keep your FC around 0.1ppm. Hard to do, hard to test. A little CYA gives you much more flexibility and a wider tolerable FC range.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

8. Back To Top    #8

Got Ya. Thank you. Since we're talking about CYA, can you guys also explain why you need to run at higher CYA level with SWG?