The twelve most common myths in Pool-Water Chemistry

9 is not quite right.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? I thought 2 was spot on from what I read on here. Can you elaborate?
It is this part that I do not agree with:
On the other hand, superchlorination, calculated to reach chemical breakpoint to eliminate existing chloramine, is necessary when it’s necessary; that is, it’s needed when these ammonia compounds have been allowed to develop.
specifically the idea of a "chemical breakpoint" ... it could just be the way that they worded it. But that buzz word has been misused many times.

- - - Updated - - -

For 5:
Chlorine does not work "much better" at lower pH levels ... if there is any CYA in the water, like we recommend.

For 9:
5-25ppm CYA is too low for an outdoor pool and they say not to use it for indoor pools which we disagree with.

Ah I see. For 2, I think what he means by it is the chlorine level needed to be achieved to start effectively working, like in the SLAM process. 5-25 CYA jumped at me as well, but as far as indoor pools, why do you need at in the indoor pool? I though it was exclusively sunlight related as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because CYA also significantly buffers the chlorine as well (in other words makes it less harsh).

Check out this table which shows the "harshness":
https://www.troublefreepool.com/~richardfalk/pool/HOCl.htm

CYA also acts as a buffer for chlorine. Without CYA, you'd want to keep your FC around 0.1ppm. Hard to do, hard to test. A little CYA gives you much more flexibility and a wider tolerable FC range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.