Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Discontinued part :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Discontinued part :(

While having my roof worked on, something got dropped on my sandfilter sidemount. It was drip drip dripping .. and now it's a gusher. I have worked on this filter before replacing various parts. It is a 26" Asteral and there are no parts to be found. I'm looking to replace the bushing and diffuser assembly. The diffuser looks like an L-shped pvc. No pool place in town has offered to help me find a compatible replacement, they have ALL offered to sell me a new filter. Does anyone think I would have luck taking the piece to Lowes or Home Depot and rigging a new part? How hard could it be? Has it been done before to anyone's knowledge? Thanks for your feedback.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Discontinued part :(

Welcome to TFP!!

Can you post a photo of the part and where it fits the filter?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

How about this Google search on "Diffuser Assembly for 26 asteral"
    Diffuser Assembly for 26 asteral - Google Search
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes Richard, that's the piece. I've placed 4 different orders (doing a google search laprjns) and they have all come back discontinued - cannot get the part. Mine is actually listed as an Aster 99 and not Millienium. Part # AST00499R0410 - I've tried inyopools, poolstoreoutlet, poolpartsonline, amazon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by HopeFloats View Post
    Yes Richard, that's the piece. I've placed 4 different orders (doing a google search laprjns) and they have all come back discontinued - cannot get the part.
    In that case, you don't have much choice but to try and fabricate something. Take it with you to Lowes and browse. Don't neglect the P-traps stuff for bathroom sinks - it's thinwalled PVC
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

So it's the thickness of the pvc .... have you ever fabricated your own part?

9. Back To Top    #9

1st, I would measure the thing exactly, if it isnt too far damaged.

each end is going to be the challenge if they are broke. If not broke, you could cut off each end with enough pipe left to glue to.

You could easily make a replacement for the rest of it with some pvc, 2 couplings and a 90...then glue it all together to the dimensions of the thing.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah ok, I think I will give it a shot. Mostly worried about the glue part - I'm guessing that there will be someone at a Lowes that can help me out.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by HopeFloats View Post
    So it's the thickness of the pvc .... have you ever fabricated your own part?
    Not for a filter, but I have browsed extensively in hardware stores looking for stuff. I was just expanding your horizons so you don't try to make something fit that won't when there might be something two aisles over that would take less modifying.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Not for a filter, but I have browsed extensively in hardware stores looking for stuff. I was just expanding your horizons so you don't try to make something fit that won't when there might be something two aisles over that would take less modifying.
    Ha Ha Good point. I'm going to have to take some time on this trip

13. Back To Top    #13

Done .... so far so good. Thanks everybody !!
    20150610_121000.jpg