PROBLEM SOLVED BY REPLIES TO POST!-New Pool Owner - Help on how to reduce water level

Hi All,

My wife and I just moved into a house in October that has a pool. It's the first time we're responsible for maintaining a pool.

We had a company close the pool after we took possession, and then open it a few weeks ago. We're starting to get a handle on the chemical side of things, but recently had quite a bit of rain. Water level is at the top of the skimmer and I'm trying to figure out how to lower it a couple of inches.

We have a Sat lite cartridge filter and I've attached a few photo's of the setup, labelling everything that is connected to the filter (heater, filter, skimmer shut off and main drain shut off - I know it doesn't show that well due to the red). We have what seems to be a backwash hose hooked up, but I have no idea how to divert water to it, as there is no ball filter there. However, there is a piece sticking up from it that you can see in the second photo. I have no idea what that is, what it does, or how to adjust/move/? it.

Any guidance/help/suggestions and certainly appreciated.

Cheers,
C

Attachments

• IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Re: New Pool Owner - Help on how to reduce water level

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I wrote an entire reply looking at the little white thing after the filter and now see the big blue hose :hammer:

That little white nub on the top by the blue hose is where the handle broke off of that valve. Try opening it with some pliers ... likely want to replace it with a true pool shutoff valve.

You could siphon it off. Get a hose...one end in the pool and the other end where you want the water to go (lower elevation of course). Suck on the far end for 30 seconds. Gravity will do the rest.

Just don't forget to remove the hose once the water level is reduced! I set my microwave timer for 90 minutes.

Welcome! :wave:

By golly, that is a valve missing the handle. Jason wins the prize.

For immediate usage, try to turn it 90º with a crescent wrench or pliers. Word of advice: unroll that backwash hose and make sure you smooth out all the twists. They will not unkink themselves; the hose will pop like a balloon.

For long term, looks like that valve has a union you could unthread and take it to a hardware store to try to match it.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I wrote an entire reply looking at the little white thing after the filter and now see the big blue hose :hammer:

That little white nub on the top by the blue hose is where the handle broke off of that valve. Try opening it with some pliers ... likely want to replace it with a true pool shutoff valve.

Thanks Jason! Opened it up and drained a little bit tonight, will finish it off tomorrow.

Thanks Richard for the tip. I'll certainly have to investigate that.

Appreciate all the responses, but didn't feel like sucking on a hose! I'll certainly be back for further help as I navigate the waters of an initial season looking after a pool.

Again, thanks to all for their replies!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.