Sand Filter Not filtering fine silt/dirt

NYAVGUY

Jul 14, 2014
New York
I have a Hayward S220T sand filter. After my first vacuuming of the year to get up all the black dirt/silt at the bottom an hour later it looked like most of it returned. When I do the first vacuuming I usually need to backwash 2-3 times to keep up the suction. My Filter normally runs at about 20psi (which I think is high, but may be due to poor DIY plumbing from the previous homeowner) and I normally backwash every 2-weeks when I re-fill my chlorinator regardless of pressure.

I backwash into the ditch in a corner of my backyard and I noticed a bit of sand collecting there. It looks like sand is coming out when I backwash, not rinse, so I don't think it is a lateral issue. Also, I don't see much sand in the pool, just fine black silt/dirt.

I have had two different pool people out. One wants to change my sand with zeo sand and check to ensure my multiport is not broken. Another guy said he would just check the multiport and top off the sand if needed. He also said I could do an acid treatment to rough up the sand.

I can't open it up myself for the deep cleaning as there are no unions, I would need to cut all of the pipes. Whoever I have service it I am going to have them put in unions. I already tried a long backwash (4:00 minutes) per what I read here about possible grooves.

Sand and filter are 5+ years old and pre-date me purchasing my house. I would welcome any suggested next steps...Thanks!

My first suggestion is a deep cleaning, just in case the sand has channeled. That means hardened up into clods. Think of the difference in filtering ability between a filter full of sand and one filled with golfballs. Big gaps between clods lets it all through.

If you're real lucky, the pipes leading to the filter are long enough to cut and install unions. PVC is really not that hard to work on. But if you're mechanically declined, call a plumber or even a general handyman, not a pool tech. It's got to be cheaper and this time of years, pool guys can pick and choose jobs and charge a fortune.

I wouldn't switch to zeosand. Do a search here and you'll find out it doesn't filter any better than sand and costs a bunch more.

Thanks for the replies. I am a DIY'er, but I have never been savvy with plumbing. I refuse to hire a pool care company for weekly maintenance, but my wife would prefer that I hire someone for work that I am not familiar with. I will ask the cheaper pool guy about doing the unions for me and checking the multi-port so I can do the deep cleaning myself.

Do you ever need to top off sand?

How would I know if the prior homeowner used zeo sand and caused this problem?

Since there is no line on the inside and it only goes by weight, how would I know if that was needed?

Thanks for the replies. I am a DIY'er, but I have never been savvy with plumbing. I refuse to hire a pool care company for weekly maintenance, but my wife would prefer that I hire someone for work that I am not familiar with. I will ask the cheaper pool guy about doing the unions for me and checking the multi-port so I can do the deep cleaning myself.

Do you ever need to top off sand?

How would I know if the prior homeowner used zeo sand and caused this problem?

Since there is no line on the inside and it only goes by weight, how would I know if that was needed?
I seem to recall reading that you fill it halfway up, but I've never had to do it. I have a DE filter.

I think you'll have to go by appearance.

pool-filter-sand-types.jpg

Although if the plumbing's never been cut and spliced, I doubt the sand has been touched for any reason since the equipment was installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.