Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Not filtering fine silt/dirt

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Not filtering fine silt/dirt

I have a Hayward S220T sand filter. After my first vacuuming of the year to get up all the black dirt/silt at the bottom an hour later it looked like most of it returned. When I do the first vacuuming I usually need to backwash 2-3 times to keep up the suction. My Filter normally runs at about 20psi (which I think is high, but may be due to poor DIY plumbing from the previous homeowner) and I normally backwash every 2-weeks when I re-fill my chlorinator regardless of pressure.

I backwash into the ditch in a corner of my backyard and I noticed a bit of sand collecting there. It looks like sand is coming out when I backwash, not rinse, so I don't think it is a lateral issue. Also, I don't see much sand in the pool, just fine black silt/dirt.

I have had two different pool people out. One wants to change my sand with zeo sand and check to ensure my multiport is not broken. Another guy said he would just check the multiport and top off the sand if needed. He also said I could do an acid treatment to rough up the sand.

I can't open it up myself for the deep cleaning as there are no unions, I would need to cut all of the pipes. Whoever I have service it I am going to have them put in unions. I already tried a long backwash (4:00 minutes) per what I read here about possible grooves.

Sand and filter are 5+ years old and pre-date me purchasing my house. I would welcome any suggested next steps...Thanks!
    21' x 28" Grecian Vinyl Pool with fiberglass steps (@17k gallons) with Pentair SuperfloVS, Hayward sand filter with Zeosand, and Hayward gas heater. Pentair EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 (Pentair IC40 SWG), and Screen Logic interface. 2 skimmers with main drain on the intake side and two primary returns with two low flow bubbler returns at the stairs. Aquabot pool cleaner. TF-100 Test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter Not filtering fine silt/dirt

Do NOT get the Zeo sand.
    Sand does not wear out, so no need to replace it.

Why not just cut the pipes and add the unions yourself?
    And do a Deep Cleaning of your Sand Filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My first suggestion is a deep cleaning, just in case the sand has channeled. That means hardened up into clods. Think of the difference in filtering ability between a filter full of sand and one filled with golfballs. Big gaps between clods lets it all through.

If you're real lucky, the pipes leading to the filter are long enough to cut and install unions. PVC is really not that hard to work on. But if you're mechanically declined, call a plumber or even a general handyman, not a pool tech. It's got to be cheaper and this time of years, pool guys can pick and choose jobs and charge a fortune.

I wouldn't switch to zeosand. Do a search here and you'll find out it doesn't filter any better than sand and costs a bunch more.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I am a DIY'er, but I have never been savvy with plumbing. I refuse to hire a pool care company for weekly maintenance, but my wife would prefer that I hire someone for work that I am not familiar with. I will ask the cheaper pool guy about doing the unions for me and checking the multi-port so I can do the deep cleaning myself.

Do you ever need to top off sand?

How would I know if the prior homeowner used zeo sand and caused this problem?

Since there is no line on the inside and it only goes by weight, how would I know if that was needed?
    21' x 28" Grecian Vinyl Pool with fiberglass steps (@17k gallons) with Pentair SuperfloVS, Hayward sand filter with Zeosand, and Hayward gas heater. Pentair EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 (Pentair IC40 SWG), and Screen Logic interface. 2 skimmers with main drain on the intake side and two primary returns with two low flow bubbler returns at the stairs. Aquabot pool cleaner. TF-100 Test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by NYAVGUY View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am a DIY'er, but I have never been savvy with plumbing. I refuse to hire a pool care company for weekly maintenance, but my wife would prefer that I hire someone for work that I am not familiar with. I will ask the cheaper pool guy about doing the unions for me and checking the multi-port so I can do the deep cleaning myself.

Do you ever need to top off sand?

How would I know if the prior homeowner used zeo sand and caused this problem?

Since there is no line on the inside and it only goes by weight, how would I know if that was needed?
    I seem to recall reading that you fill it halfway up, but I've never had to do it. I have a DE filter.

I think you'll have to go by appearance.

Although if the plumbing's never been cut and spliced, I doubt the sand has been touched for any reason since the equipment was installed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!