Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fighting some type of algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Fighting some type of algae

Bought a house and I nground pool was not closed correctly last season, looked like a farm pond. After several weeks thought I had everything under control and balanced. Been in twice with family. Went out of town for a week and FC dropped to 0 (unknown how long) now I have a persistence sand/pollen like flim every morning on the floor of the vinyl inground pool. I have brushed and vacuumed to waste daily. Each morning looks like sand/pollen has settled over night. I also have a Dolphins dynamic and the bag has a yellow/green tint when I pull it out to wash each day.

here are my numbers.

22000gal
    FC 23ppm
    CC 0
    pH 7.1/7.2
    TA 150
    CH 120
    CYA 70-80

I'm afraid that I need to lower cya by draining and refilling prior to fighting the algae issue. Pool is cloudy after brushing and vacuuming, but clears up a bit overnoght. The noticeably brownish layer on the floor as stated above returns.

Thoughts and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fighting some type of algae

Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... either by raising and maintaining the FC higher, or lowering the CYA first.

Note pH test is not valid when FC > 10ppm

What test kit are you using?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Taylor 2006 kit. Good to know about pH not valid. First pool and still learning. On my phone will fix signature once on my PC.

4. Back To Top    #4

This would be a good post to put in the "algae - prevention and treatment" section, no?
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I never pay attention to the actual forum that a thread is located in but I can move this.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!