Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Experiences and Recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Experiences and Recommendations?

I am just about to go the SWCG route here in Italy and would very much like to hear more 'real life' experiences of using the various brands. Hayward and Pentair are available at high prices, Zodiac is more commonly available. Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers
    Zed
    160,000 litres (42,000 U.S. galls) 15 x 7 metres (53 x 23 feet) hybrid. Concrete floor, glass fibre walls. 1.5 HP Tifon pump, 150 kg (330lb) sand filter. Free form shape (not a straight edge in sight) 30 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Reccomendations...In your experience, what is the best system?

in-two, we had our pool for 1 season and it was terrible, the algae was ruining our lives. we switched to salt water and our pool is fun ! its pretty simple really.
    IG Gunite pool. 30,000 gallons. Hayward type sand filter. Circupool SI 45 salt system.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG Reccomendations...In your experience, what is the best system?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonette2 View Post
    in-two, we had our pool for 1 season and it was terrible, the algae was ruining our lives. we switched to salt water and our pool is fun ! its pretty simple really.
    Whether you had a SWG or not has nothing to do with your algae problems ... that was due to improper chemistry maintenance. You could have the same issues with a SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: SWG Experiences and Recommendations?

You have a large pool and should get a cell rated for 60,000 US gallons. There are only a few companies that make a cell that large and I'm not sure what's available in Italy. Post the models that you have available in that size of cell and we can offer our 2 cents from those choices.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

I am very happy with my Pentair after 3 years. The Pentair IC60 would work well for you. Not cheap though.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Or you could string 5 or so Intex SWGs together!

Just kidding btw, although it would work.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

that is 1 big pool 42000 gallons, most definatly go with a 60k cell, you will have to run it at 70% or so and the cell will probably not last over 4 years (the higher % you run them)... it will also depend on how long you run your pump...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

Just curious... It is usually recommended that you go with a cell rated 2x larger than the volume. If a 60k cell is as large as you can go, then wouldn't he be better off using 2 generators with 40k cells? Much like my Intex joke, but more practical.
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    Just curious... It is usually recommended that you go with a cell rated 2x larger than the volume. If a 60k cell is as large as you can go, then wouldn't he be better off using 2 generators with 40k cells? Much like my Intex joke, but more practical.
    I say go with two 60's and be done with it. Or move up to a commercial one.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    I say go with two 60's and be done with it. Or move up to a commercial one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting, never thought about doing that...

like 2 of the hayward's would work well ( i would think) and be 80k, twice the size of your pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    You have a large pool and should get a cell rated for 60,000 US gallons. There are only a few companies that make a cell that large and I'm not sure what's available in Italy. Post the models that you have available in that size of cell and we can offer our 2 cents from those choices.
    Thanks for your interest, it looks like the only fairly big swcg's available here are made by the Australian company Autochlor. They make a range that produce up to 92 g/hour, the RP 92. Plugging my numbers into their calculator their recommendation is from the 50g/hour running 12 hours a day to the 92 g/hour running 8 hours a day. Does 60k mean 60,000 US gallons? There are also Zodiac, CTX and pool pilot brands available but none advertised in the bigger (over 35g/h) sizes.
    My issue is that I'm not at the house with the pool all the time and can't get reliable manual dosing organised anymore and feel that chlorine pumps/puck feeders won't be as reliable/effective. I'm guessing I also need a Ph regulator/acid pump so any opinions on the way to go there would also be welcome. Sorry about the metric measurements, it's after midnight here by the pool and I can't trust myself to do the conversions after a few 'refreshing beverages'...
    160,000 litres (42,000 U.S. galls) 15 x 7 metres (53 x 23 feet) hybrid. Concrete floor, glass fibre walls. 1.5 HP Tifon pump, 150 kg (330lb) sand filter. Free form shape (not a straight edge in sight) 30 years old.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes by 60k we mean 60000 US gallons. I just realized how ironic that is btw. Using k for kilo on top of a US measurement...
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

13. Back To Top    #13

I have just realized that I asked much the same question exactly a year ago and got some good answers, duh! The beverages must be getting to me ...
    Anybody have any experience of Autochlor before I jump in with the big 92 unit?

14. Back To Top    #14

An ic60 (or other 60k gallon unit) would be large enough. The recommendation to go oversized is related to how often you have to replace.

A 60k gallon unit will produce enough chlorine but you might have to replace the cell e.g. every 3 years versus 4 years.

You still might be better off versus buying a specialty or oversize unit. If it costs 3x as much for a 90k swg but you only replace cell every 5 years it's probably still not worth the 3x hit up front.

15. Back To Top    #15

It is worth getting the larger IC60 cell rather than two IC40 cells even though the IC40's will last longer (because their ontime will be lower). See Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators. The reason the IC60 is more economical is that the price rises much more slowly than the increased capacity. So on a $ per pound chlorine generated, it's the most economical. The IC40 is not terrible, but even those with more average sized pools should get the IC40 rather than the IC20 (unless the pool is VERY small such that the IC40 would raise the FC at the returns by too much).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"