NEWBIE - just tested for first time - Need help please! :)

ptintenn

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Bartlett, TN
Hi. I have an inground gunite pool 22,000g. Recently drained and refilled it. Added some Clorox and baking soda yesterday and have a sock full of stabilizer in the return. Purchased a Taylor K-2006 today and just tested. Here are my results. Could you please suggest what I need to do next and in what order? We are having a pool party Saturday (I know - to late to cancel) and I am trying to get the water correct. Right now it looks clear.

4 ppm FC
.5 ppm CC
pH was less than 7 (color was lighter than the 7 reading)
50ppm total alkalinity test
25 ppm Cyanuric test (had to fill to the very top for black dot to go away)

Any help would be appreciated. And I am a newbie so if you can explain in easy terms I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

Add baking soda to raise the TA to 70ppm
Check pH to make sure it is in the 7s (add borax to raise it if needed).
How much CYA did you add? Did you use PoolMath and what was your target?

Maintain the FC above the minimum for your CYA according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Welcome Whitney!

Hope all goes well for your party. I am new at this. Your numbers look great to me for a starting point. follow JB's advice.

CYA added to the pool may take awhile to show up on your test after you add it to the pool. So, don't overdo it. Just trust the amount specified in Pool Math.

thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will just try to raise my pH and wait to see what my CYA is tomorrow since I just added it last night. According the poolmath my FC should be 4 which is what I measured. Should I add some more chlorine to try to raise it a bit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.