Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEWBIE - just tested for first time - Need help please! :)

1. Back To Top    #1

NEWBIE - just tested for first time - Need help please! :)

Hi. I have an inground gunite pool 22,000g. Recently drained and refilled it. Added some Clorox and baking soda yesterday and have a sock full of stabilizer in the return. Purchased a Taylor K-2006 today and just tested. Here are my results. Could you please suggest what I need to do next and in what order? We are having a pool party Saturday (I know - to late to cancel) and I am trying to get the water correct. Right now it looks clear.

4 ppm FC
    .5 ppm CC
    pH was less than 7 (color was lighter than the 7 reading)
    50ppm total alkalinity test
    25 ppm Cyanuric test (had to fill to the very top for black dot to go away)

Any help would be appreciated. And I am a newbie so if you can explain in easy terms I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!!
    In ground Guinite pool 22,000g. Hayward filter system, using Taylor K-2006 for testing, totally new to this whole pool thing. Located in Tennessee.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NEWBIE - just tested for first time - Need help please! :)

Add baking soda to raise the TA to 70ppm
    Check pH to make sure it is in the 7s (add borax to raise it if needed).
    How much CYA did you add? Did you use PoolMath and what was your target?

Maintain the FC above the minimum for your CYA according to the FC/CYA Chart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome Whitney!

Hope all goes well for your party. I am new at this. Your numbers look great to me for a starting point. follow JB's advice.

CYA added to the pool may take awhile to show up on your test after you add it to the pool. So, don't overdo it. Just trust the amount specified in Pool Math.
    20,000 gallon IG gunnite pool. Hayward DE filter. built 2004. more info to come.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to our party ... the TFP party. Check-in with us any time you like.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will just try to raise my pH and wait to see what my CYA is tomorrow since I just added it last night. According the poolmath my FC should be 4 which is what I measured. Should I add some more chlorine to try to raise it a bit?
    In ground Guinite pool 22,000g. Hayward filter system, using Taylor K-2006 for testing, totally new to this whole pool thing. Located in Tennessee.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA may take a week to show up on the test. Did you use liquid or solid? How did you add it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I used solid. I filled up 2 socks. One I placed in the skimmer basket. The other is hanging I the pool in front of a jet. Is this correct?

8. Back To Top    #8

That is fine, just no need to test for a week. Assume you are at your target.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Great thanks. So do u think should I add more clorax?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, assume that your CYA is at the level you added and keep the chlorine level at target and never let it drop below the minimum level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach