Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I missing something?

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Am I missing something?

Sooooo been battling my pool since the weekend before memorial day. Sand filter failed, thus spewing around 150 lbs of sand into my pool. That being said, I've been trying to vacuum to waste all the sand out of the bottom. The pool water was clear until I stirred everything up again on Friday and noticed the PH was really high so I added MA. Now my pool is insanely cloudy and will NOT clear up no matter what I do. Here are my 2 most recent readings (I forgot to write the others down)

6/7

FC: 7
    CC: 0
    TA: 340
    CYA: 20
    PH: 7.8+

Today:
    FC: 4
    CC: 1 <- Boo.
    TC: 5
    TA: 280 - Down some after a drain and a couple rains
    CYA: 20
    PH: 8.2+

Someone tell me what to do. I've used almost an entire gallon of MA to bring the PH down and it isn't happening. Noticed my CYA was in a big chunk in the sock so I beat it up and spread it throughout the pool via the jets spreading it.
    Lynzizzle

IG, 25k gal (est.), concrete free form, Hayward S-244T 300lb sand filter,
    well water, Pump: AO Smith 3/4 hp, VSpd: Unknown, Pool Age: Unknown
    Welcome to our OOL. Notice there's no "P" in it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I missing something?

So your CYA is suppose to be higher but it just clumped up in the sock correct?

First think that screams out is your TA. It is ridiculously high, which is why your pH goes up so quickly. I am not sure if you are saying that you can not get it down with MA, or you can not keep it down. If it is the latter, then you need to lower it a lot more. Lower down to 7.0 and let it rise to 7.4 then lower again. This process will SLOWLY bring your TA down. Lower TA Directions

As for the cloudiness, sounds like SLAM criteria, but I will let someone else confirm that it is not something else. You seem to have your FC in line, so it very well might be other.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

TA is lowered as well as PH when you add MA. Because your TA is so high,this causes your PH to rise quickly.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I would say you probably need to SLAM once PH is down to 7.2 since your CC is 1 and your water is cloudy.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

So do I need to add more MA?
    Lynzizzle

IG, 25k gal (est.), concrete free form, Hayward S-244T 300lb sand filter,
    well water, Pump: AO Smith 3/4 hp, VSpd: Unknown, Pool Age: Unknown
    Welcome to our OOL. Notice there's no "P" in it?

5. Back To Top    #5

With your TA that high, you need to buy a few shares of stock in a MA company...

Check your fill water's TA. If it is drastically lower then you might want to try a partial drain and refill.

What are you testing with btw? Might be a false reading if you are not using a good test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

If you decide to drain, hook up a vacuum and use the hose to siphon water out. Then you could be vacuuming sand and draining at the same time.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links